Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7

Hello guys, I want to create the environment around this house, and I have to say that I'm still a student and Im taking a bigger step comparing to my level now.

However guys, what is the best way or efficient let's say in order to create this environment? I was thinking about creating the main mesh in maya then export it to Zbrush and start sculpting.

Would love to hear your opinions, thank you :))

Replies

• DanielPeres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielPeres polycounter lvl 7
    I am not sure I undestood your question fully, but if you are talking about terrain, yes that might be one approach, altought I think it dependes in a lot of things. I am not the best person to explain you about making terrains, but if you want to render that scene as a realtime scene inside a game engine, then I don't think a mesh is the best way to do it, what you could do is start with that method and when you have a good base mesh export a heightmap of it and then go into world machine to work the details (like erosion, etc). I am telling you this because I started using World Machine a while ago and it is indeed a great tool. After that just export everything back into the game engine and create a terrain with those maps
  • sgv3dmax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgv3dmax polycounter lvl 15
    Yup. I would go with what nukakola7 said. Sculpting out the environment manually would take a lot of time and would be hard to judge in terms of composition and visual quality. You can always get good results using a height map in a game engine (Cry, UE4 or any other). Usually most game engines can import a terrain height map. You can generate a height map using Worldmachine (a great tool). The height information will be random inside Worldmachine but you can find a good spot to base your level. After getting the terrain inside game engine, just hand-sculpt close details whichever way you want. Generating a terrain this way has many advantages. You can manually paint terrain textures and generate vegetation. Use zbrush for rocks and stuff in your level.
    And before going into any details, just block-out your scene using simple geometry. Detailed sculpting is fun, but do it after planning well.