Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jason Morvan

Talistar
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Talistar vertex
Hello, PolyCount I am an aspiring Character and Environment Artist focusing on game art, though went to college for game development as well, so I have some programming ability as well.

Ill be using this sketchbook, as a journal for my WIP and finished pieces, as well as to seek critique and feed back to strengthen my anatomy, design, and general workflow.

I tend to have a bunch of things on the go at once so hopefully this will also help give me the the impetus and a bit more direction in getting things complete in sequence instead of jumping around.

Any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• Talistar
    Offline / Send Message
    Talistar vertex
    One of my most current projects is this full character sculpt, Ive been approaching it as a study to build my anatomy skills, and then use it as a base mesh to work off of, for other characters Ive got planned. This is my second full sculpted character build, I usually just poly model everything in Max until I need detail passes.

Started as a bust, from a skull I was modelling to learn the ZBrush UI and workflow, then filled it out with muscles and skin from reference. Then played with proportions until i was mostly happy.

Then I started building out the body, trying to learn muscle structures and positions.

I Haven't started adding all the fat and skin yet on the body in most places.

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    You need to gather reference images. Just google stuff like 'human proportions', 'face proportions'. You can find a lot of good stuff on pinterest. Compare what you did again and again to different refs. Do it from different angles. It would be good if you would start learning anatomy.

Another great way to improve is to take your images you want to post and edit them in Photoshop. It allows you to look in a different way on what you do.You can explore without the fear of making your piece worse (I have this fear often). I threw your image into PS for 10 minutes and with Liquify and a bit of painting got the result below. Don't use it as a reference! I'm still learning this stuff so what I did is not correct. I just want to show you that you can do a lot of thinking/exploring in short amount of time.

So take your images. Maybe overlay some good reference images and conform your image to the reference. Then think what was wrong. What you improved and how can you incorporate it into your model. Good luck.

Oh and stuff like brows can be done with really fast polypaint. Don't think about details like that before you are satisfied with proportions.
  • Talistar
    Offline / Send Message
    Talistar vertex
    Some progress on the character

currently fixing the finger lengths