Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I need help polishing a hand painted character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys I made this the other day

I think I matched the concept pretty well, but I can't help thinking I could push it further. I don't have a lot of practice with hand painted textures so any advice or paint-overs would be a huge help! Or even just let me know if you think its fine and I'm over-analyzing it.

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    The concept has a bit more textural quality to it. For instance, there is still some of the green flesh left on the seed, like it hasn't been scraped clean completely. Also, under the character's right eye, there is a little dark crack, and there is a tiny "teardrop" of green stuff under the left eye. I realize these are really small details, but it makes the face look a little bit like the make-up of a mime, which I think is cute and you should include it.

For the bounce light on the hat, you'll have to make sure that it's brighter than the pink of the hat. That's because bounce light is in effect a soft light source, so it illuminates the area, making it brighter.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looks good Tectonic but I do agree with Wendy de Boer. Some of the texture in the concept is lost on the final model. The biggest thing for me though would be to paint in darker occlusion around the edge of the eyes, mouth and straps so they pop more. Keep it up!