Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Walk Cycle - preparing for iAnimate

EVernier
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
EVernier polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm picking up where I left off with my iAnimate workshops and starting Games Workshop 2 on wednesday. I decided to catch up on some workshop 1 lectures to warm up. I did this walk cycle, which I think is a step up from what I usually do. Don't hesitate to leave any feedback on the flaws you notice!

http://www.syncsketch.com/playground/097aae21d9ec42a88a7b5fcbf1273664#91670

Replies

• Rasch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasch vertex
    Hi EVernier.
    I really like the shoulder movement. It's selling the sense of weight quite nicely. Good work.
    She looks very focused on what's ahead of her (because the head has very little side-side movement?), if that's what you're going for.

The most noticeable (to me :P) improvement areas are:
    • The shin pops forward a bit to fast, just before the contact position (frame 10 to 13). Try smoothing that movement, so that you get a slow-out movement towards the contact position.
    • Also, the foot goes through the floor at the same time. Maybe a tiny bit more of a stretch upwards on the up position on frame 11 can help with that, as well as straightening the foot forward.
    • The back leg pops a little backwards at frame 18. Try bending the knee a little instead of moving the thigh, to keep the foot in place.
    That's all I have time to comment on at the moment. Hope it's helpful to you.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool walk. Main issue I see with is with the legs. They are a bit poppy, the lower leg swings forward too quickly and its giving it a weird look. Also, I would reduce the tilt on the chest/shoulder when the foot plants and the chest compresses. You can see it roughly f5 with the screen left shoulder, it just draws attention to itself.

Nice work!