Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mother Winter

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like it overall, but the one thing that sticks out to me is the friction that your lighting set up is telling vs. the look of the home.  I am confused why a dilapitated house is so well lit.  The story doesn't immediately make sense, unless there was some element in the scene to explain it.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sullum97 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Brian!
    I was going for an Until Dawn kind of feel. Where the residents sort of move to this isolated run down cabin style victorian house in the woods. It's basically these young teens/kids that move to this sort of scenery with an affinity for skiing, and out of fear it's well lit. But I can see how it doesn't read as lantern or low lit after time kind of feel that would make sense. 
    I'll see what I can do about it tyvm for the feedback!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd bring down the intensity of the lighting scheme in the home.  Temp dwellers, especially under duress, would probably not try to light the whole home completely.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay I can see how that makes more sense. Thanks for the feedback cheers!
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good but there's a couple of things that stood out to me in the third picture the snow pile on the left looks a bit stretched and low res it also intersects with the ground pretty harshly, the red cover part where some crates and stuff are sitting on top of the sled at the edges there seems to be some uv problems it looks like the padding of your texture is happening to early if you get me? There is also a box intersecting with the runner part of the sled :p 

I feel like snow scenes can be difficult to present well but your doing not too bad keep it up :) 
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    =D Tyvm for the feedback Adelphia, I'll be sure to adjust those next pass! Cheers!
  • Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Personally I hate bloom, it's actually just an artifact that appears in photos. As for the scene, the house seems a bit too blue, even in winter times the color of the house is often noticable.
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback Leinadien! I disagree personally about it being too blue. I feel that in the snowy conditions and with the way the moonlight is refracting off the base atmospheric fog paired with the warm lighting of both the inside as well as some parts of the outside it just appears that way. The white contrasts of the snow, plus the frost, and the generally darker wood makes it appear that way. I feel it leads the eye decently well between the warmth of the fire pit cascading across the grass and upwards towards the house. But thanks for the feedback! 
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/tjK8-DrPcsM
    Hey guys here's the video breakdown of the scene!

• Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Looking very good, I'm making a little Tomte want to build him a house? :pleased: They live in little cabins like this one, in either case the house is looking very nice.
    https://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/7-2/373353/images/2009/cu3_65969314.jpg
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wish I had the time but unfortunately my plate is pretty full atm =( My apologies!

• Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Akash283
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akash283 polycounter lvl 7
    This is awesome, and the general modeling/texturing/set dressing work looks really good.

Only thoughts are on the lighting; I have to agree with the general comments. If you're going for a Gone Home, horror look, I think there's just too much fill light from the sky to start. The house lights are in this weird purgatory between invitingly warm and cool/uninviting temperature-wise. 

This causes there to be an overall ambiguity in the lighting scenario, and it doesn't clue the viewer/player into the mood. My reading was more of a VFX commercial shot with the house being some inviting place where a bunch of people are drinking beer/etc. The mood being evoked here is a little uncertain of itself.

I would consider playing with the contrast and turning down the outdoor fill light. You have a lot of cool models and textures and I think the lighting should be brought up to match them. 
  • Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Akash283! Thanks so much for the feedback! Yeah the lighting does need to be adjusted, unfortunately there's not too much open house lighting ref for Until Dawn unless you watch specifically all the playthroughs which I have but remembering which episode had good screenshots sucks haha! I think unfortunately alot of my work tends to lean towards fun, overly saturated good time, much like you describe, but the next step for this is dialing in the color harmony and dialing back the lights, especially for the horror genre. I'll need to do alot of research to get it light, it's definitely on the agenda! Cheers!