Home Technical Talk

Will there be service that turns Marvelous Designer design into real clothings ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Handmade, or 3d printing ??

What do you think ??

Considering there hasn't really been a new way to make costume during the last hundreds of years or so... It's still pins or needles with threads to do the seams and maybe some buttons or buckles or something......
Until now. Now we could 3d print the thing. The jacket could now be made all in 1 mesh. No seam needed except for decoration.

Thoughts ??

Ps. Practical clothing. Not fashion craps.

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8

I dont know any fashion designer, but im quite sure there has been advanced CAD Software for the design of real clothing around for some time. It could be, that they use Marvellous for visualisation, like architects use 3D apps for that. But that has nothing to do with the fact, that clothes are still made of fabric, that needs to be stitched or glued together, just like buildings are still made of bricks and planks. But thats only what im guessing....

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I don't really think so. Marvelous is built around emulating real patterns and sewing for clothes so it would really be a weird sidestep to 3d-print them as you would do essentially the same thing except digitally. Especially considering 3d printing fabric would probably be more of a hassle than it is worth.  
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love the idea of "custom fit clothing" and I think it's possible with the growing number of people shopping online. My idea for it would be taking 3 or 4 measurements for shirts to get a perfect fit, offer 3d scanning that matches you up with a model that is the same size and proportions as you, with a percent match rating, and you can see anything you buy on that model before hand. The store wouldn't be custom making shirts per order, but instead mass produce a wider variety of sizes to fit their demands.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What material could you 3D print clothing in? All of the materials I know of are rigid, even if they weren't they wouldn't be breathable which would make them EXTREMELY uncomfortable to wear.

There are sites that offer custom fit clothes but you can't design them, you can only provide measurements. And it isn't cheap because with few exceptions, most clothing is still hand made.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    @ZacD A store in Honk Kong is doing something similar already,
    http://www.techinsider.io/3d-body-scanner-robotic-tailor-hong-kong-2016-1

Also marvelous designer should let you save out the patterns, so you could just give them to a seamstress to have them made, right?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yay we're getting there. It'd be great for casual clothing as well, I wonder if there would be enough demand to mass produce fitted sizes and do online shopping. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right. The problem atm is the material for the fabric. And how to stitch them together. That's why we have... these craps below.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    that just looks like designers dabbling in a new medium. i'm sure they could use it to come up with more practical outfits.
    anyway i think clothing designers use clo 3d from the same developer which seems to offer more options to make physically plausible patterns.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like Optitex? I know I'd seen another similar software aimed at practical fashion a few months back but (as usual) I can't remember the name.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It'd be straightforward to automatically cut a pattern made in Marvelous into real cloth, but at present, I don't think there's any way to sew it into clothes other than human seamstress.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about this 5 Axis 3D Printing Surface Conforming thing ??  Technically you could print material onto lifesize mannequin, right ??  Wouldn't that potentially eliminate all stitching required ??   Granted, right now it would be latex suit at best, and bodypaint at worst. Until we can use better material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Fl8L4yk8M
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    CLO3d the big brother of MD does produce patterns for proper cutting, allowing for sizing and seam width... but its bloody expensive.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    PyrZern said:
    You are right. The problem atm is the material for the fabric. And how to stitch them together. That's why we have... these craps below.

I dunno what you're upset about dude, those designs look badass.  Runway fashion isn't necessarily supposed to be practical or wearable, it is to clothes what concept cars are to the automotive industry, an arena where inventive concepts can be prototyped and tested before the workable ideas and design flourishes percolate down to the consumer market.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, those are super cool. I love fashion for fashion's sake, even if it isn't "practical".
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not 'upset' about those. Apologize if it came across that way. We know 3d printing can be used for those, but, I'm mostly thinking about more practical design 3d printing fabric right now.