Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shipping Container Village - UE4

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
Making a scene to hopefully make landing a job a bit easier :P 

inspiration:

half assed block out, still playing around with it trying to find something I like. Ignore the grass material, it didn't turn out well and I'm planning on leaning more towards the desert look anyway

a few props I made so far:

Replies

• Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kibbles26 polycounter lvl 2
    Blockout looks good, the props are awesome dude!

Would like to see more things added to the scene to break it up a little, like those telephone/eletricity poles from the original concept
  • griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffiti polycounter lvl 4
    Your props are looking good but watch the scale of them. The block out is a good start too. You might want to add a bit more detail to ground geo (just a plain flat material) to get a feel of where the tracks lead, where the sand may pile up against the containers, etc. Don't have all the containers at right angles either. They're bit too perfectly stacked ;) 
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Yea I noticed I miss scaled the propane tank already :pleased:  and I plan on adding in similar tarps and clothes lines like in that reference pic as well as random garbage/debris to make it feel more life like. As for the ground it's just a quick material I applied to the terrain in UE4 so once I replace it with a better one I'll be using the paint brush to give it more of a rough feel and I also want to try my luck at making water and filling in some deeper ruts with some puddles. But i'll deff going back and off set the containers a bit though :)

Question for anyone: Any tips on tire tracks or making tire ruts? 
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kibbles26 polycounter lvl 2
    A nice way to get those tire tracks would be to sculpt them and back them out! Then add them to a decal with just the normals, then plop them down. Or add the backed out normals to the floor materials themselves
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass at the container texture, trying to get the old weary look without over doing it. I want to add labels / numbers to it which I feel would finish up the overall look but I want to be able to vary them in UE4 so I'm going to have to look into that more before I do anymore work on it. I seen vids of people easily changing colours of the texture inside the material editor so the meshes vary which is also something I want to accomplish, so more research to be done.

annnnnnnd then I have to figure out the inside of it, thinking of turning on double sided mesh or normals whatever it's called and then put in a plywood floor texture on the bottom because you really won't be able to see the inside of them much in the scene anyways.