Home Technical Talk

Pc Build for game development

marcchild49
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
marcchild49 polycounter lvl 2
Hi there I hope this question is appropriate for this forum. I want to buy a pc in which I can work on gamming projects and use the unreal engine. I am a modeler and a texturer I use software like zbrush, maya, max, substance designer etc. I wanted to go for a new pc that will help me run things smoother so I was looking for advice for very specific specs on what I should go for. I have a budget of 1324 dollars 

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    That's a very specific budget...

If you re-use most of your old non-performance affecting components (tower, power supply, screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers, optical drive(s), etc.), You should be able to build a fairly powerful PC for that much. Some suggestions with rough price estimates;

CPU: 6600K ($220) or 6700k ($360)
    GPU: Geforce 1070 ($400) or 1080 ($600)
    RAM: 32gb ($120) or 64gb ($240)
    Storage:                            
        256gb SSD ($90) or 512gb ($160)
        2tb HDD ($60)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    agree with polyHertz...

• marcchild49
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so Much for getting back to me, of course the idea i to save money wherever I can like using my old monitor and cables. Once again thank you to PolyHertz and oglu for pointing me in the right direction.   
  • marcchild49
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anything that you guys would personally suggest for motherboards  and the cooling system that I would need to go for 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Choosing a motherboard is more involved then most other components. Things to check / consider:

-Socket type and form factor (mandatory)
    -Component spacing.
    -Operating system compatibility.
    -Max ram capacity/speed (You will definitely want one that supports 64gb of ram, even if you go with 32gb to start)
    -Number / type of SATA ports.
    -Number / type of USB ports.
    -M2 socket (much faster then regular sata SSD, but has problems with Window7 and older.)
    -Ethernet speed (if you have a very fast connection, like Google Fiber)
    -Built in wifi / bluetooth (not that important since you can buy these separate anytime)
    -SLI support
    -Overclocking features

As for cooling, you really don't need to buy anything extra there. Your CPU should include a fan, and your case should already have another built in. If however you want to overclock the CPU (or just keep it extra cool/quiet), there are quite a few aftermarket coolers that'll do the job, such as this or this.
  • marcchild49
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you once again