Home Technical Talk

Modo constantly messes up material IDs

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
I've been working with UE4 for quite some time and one issue that really gets on my nerves is Modo's erratic FBX behaviour. I run 10.1 and no matter what version I choose (2015 or 2013) when I save my mesh it rerranges IDs order and all my materials inside UE get screwed. Is there a fix for this?

Replies

• Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    Not that I know of...

I figured out a way to (sometimes) reorder material IDs though. Just make a new blank mesh, cut and paste all your geo into it then cut and paste back to the real mesh one material at a time in the order you want. It works most of the time.

The material order seems to stay pretty consistent for me, but it does sometimes reorder itself out of nowhere. And when you get meshes in the same set with a different order... ughh, I share your frustration dude.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    I had the same problem with Maya, the solution was to split the mesh into one mesh per material and put these into the right order in the outliner (which determines the order of the mats in the fbx file, i assume). I dont understand, why Epic uses Material IDs (which Maya doesnt have) to index Materials instead of the Material names...
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    antweiler said:
    I had the same problem with Maya, the solution was to split the mesh into one mesh per material and put these into the right order in the outliner (which determines the order of the mats in the fbx file, i assume). I dont understand, why Epic uses Material IDs (which Maya doesnt have) to index Materials instead of the Material names...
    hm, thanks. I'll try this but sometimes it messes materials even if I don't change the order of meshes. or may be I just don't notice it.