Home Technical Talk

UVs when Hand Painting

Devon M
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Devon M polycounter lvl 4
Hello all. The software I'm using is Maya 2016 and Photoshop CS6.

So I'm new to hand painting my textures, and I've found it quite fun :) I had a question about UVs and hand painting. So, here is what I'm working with:

Low poly, modular fence piece. Just keep duplicating them to have a fence where ever you want. It's a wooden post with a metal bracket and loop that holds a thick rope with a torn cloth wrapped around the rope. The art style is hand painted, stylized.

Here are the UVs for this right now:

So far, everything is UV'd "correctly" in the sense that it is all within scale to each other and the UV map is looking good. I've always textured and UV'd in this manner before, but I've never done hand painting before. I feel like my metal bracket set (the set in the bottom right corner, the smaller pieces) are too small, and that wouldn't make for a fun time hand painting detail in there. So I was wondering if it's, for lack of a better word, "okay" to enlarge your UV islands for the sake of being able to paint on them better? 

Here is a shot of the new UV set:

All I did was enlarge the metal bracket and loop UV islands so it would be easier to hand paint on them. Is it bad practice to do this? Should I keep them all within a good scale of each other?

I'm fairly new to this, so I would appreciate all of the help anyone has to offer me. 

PS: I had a difficult time UV unwrapping the metal loop. It's the set of islands that are broken up, stacked on top of each other at the bottom right. I managed to get a nice UV map from this technique, however I wish I could sew them together into one piece and they look nice. I got some distortion when I tried move/sew and unfolding them. Any tips for shapes like this one? Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, you want the UVs to be normalized, so pixels are all the same size in the viewport.

If the game camera usually views the assets from a particular angle, such that some parts of the model are usually closer than others (near part of a FPS gun for example) then those closer parts can be given larger UV space.

For the metal bracket there, I would uv it as a curved cylinder projection, following the curve of the tube it is made from. So the loop of metal is one UV strip. The inside of the metal loop is seen less, so I would put the seam there, and not worry about UV stretching in there.
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M polycounter lvl 4