Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skullraider

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Tobi_dono polycounter lvl 4
Well right now starting my 2 Charaktermodel I ever did...first one was so bad ..
but now I try to do a more stylized comic like design, hope it goes well ^^
..Pics come next

Replies

• Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

just a raw sketch that took 5 min ^^

didn't do a lot on the lower body bec it manly will be deleted later anyway
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

well face looks a little bit weird but lets see how it looks with hair and Mask later  ^^
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why are his hips wider than his shoulders?  Makes him more feminine that I think you intended.
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ....yeah right, well Im still on the upper body and the most parts of his legs will be hidden behind cloths.
    I thought at erasing the legs compleatlie after I get the shorts done
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Good start pulling references. You should use a combination of realistic reference to get a hold of the anatomy and then combine that knowledge with stylized characters. 

Try Following this guide for basic muscle structure.
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah ty for this ref. but right now it's a little bit hard, it is only my second char I ever made and right now I want to
    find a good workflow for myself by doing some charackters.
    maybe by a later charackter when i got a bit more expierience.
    normally I do more Hardsurface modeling like Weapons, blades and some other objekts so
    I need right now to get used in doing charackters first
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Are you actually going for only a low poly model or also high poly baked down on low poly? And do you plan to use ZBrush? I am asking because I see hard surface techniques that actually are going to make it pretty tough to get a natural organic feeling in it. Also for low poly they increase the poly count, without being necessary.

In any case a much simpler mesh would do you good. Try to get the shape of the arms and legs with just 8 sides. For the body 16 should be enough. But really start from a box, not trying too much at once. Get once side of the box to be at the center of the scene. the upper part of the other one somewhere at the top of the shoulder. The lower one at the hip. Now subdivide the height twice. The upper line should be the lower part of the chest. The lower line the upper end of the waist. Us the vertices in the center to get also some definition.

Now get the side  subdivided. You can now take the sides to give it a rounder shape.
    I did this in 5min, without reference, but it should give you an idea what to aim for.

From this shape on you have the 4 faces on the side of the chest and those 4 at the top of the leg that you can start extruding for the limbs. A couple more lines and you can get a solid definition for the body. You also have the 4 faces in the center to start the neck - but I would do the head sperately and connect it afterwards.

Don't try to much at once. Extrude arms and legs completely up to the wrist and ankle, then add slowly edges where you need them to define shapes. Once you max those out and only then, I would add additional edges. Don't bother for the moment with hard edges like you are used to from hard surface modelling.

Have fun with it :)
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going for a little comic style with a Highpoly too, well I only have mudbox and there if you want some hard edges you still need some edges on the hard sides like hardsurface modeling ...

the only student version for Zbrush is mostly in the USA so if I want to use it I would need to buy it or go to my school -> where I dont realy go when it is private work.

To be true I really like Zbrush a lot more it can also do more and is not limited by the imported mash like mudbox -.-
    well maybe in one year or so I could get my hands on it but until than i have to use mudbox
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Biomag Ohh and the Character is right now on Ice bec first was a Arcade game like Projekt with a frinde (still working on one part for Portfolio) than my Thesis and right now we got a graduation project where I want to start asap.
    so I need to see if I can even find my time ^^'.

Just so but my graduation project is some kind of robot/droid, like the one In the Unity demo ADAMbut not with as much detail as ADAM ^^, and it will get exchangable Faces(Masks) like a Noh demon*
    Im better In the mechanical part so I hope my projekt will go well :)

* could be described as a human like demon who expreses his emotions with the mask he is right now wearing.
    (Noh demon dance from Anime/Maga series Touhou)

as to say I may want to create a Droide but I want to give him a mystical kind of feeling or background ?
    but I olny wanted to do It like that because I just so love
    mythology manly in part of demons and mosters
    and thats someting I also want to show within my work.

kind of weird to write In a Note/ thread about a Work and than writing of another or?