Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sankyo 8mm Cine Film Camera (with some breakdown)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
Hey all

I don' t normally do this but I though I should make an effort for once and share some of my work. This was a personal project with the objective of learning Substance Painter 2 and refining some high to low modelling workflows. I actually have this camera so it was nice to make something you had in real life rather than from reference photos. It such an interesting vintage piece of hardware that I knew I had to make it when I first saw it.

This is the finished beauty render from Marmoset:

And this is the scene setup:

I had some very basic low poly props in the background that I knew would be blurred out from the shallow DoF and I placed 2 custom lights, 1 key and the other a fill area light for the camera on the right side. I also had 3 custom lights on the light editor, one to simulate window light on the right to cast long shadows for the bg props, another low power fill on the left and the last one to create the highlight on the barrel of the lens.

Here some detailed shots that also shows how the base rotates to become the hand grip and also where the battery is stored.

I intending this to be a hero prop that a character would pick up and examine/use so the polycount is 20,512. Here's the wires:

I authored this as a 2048px metal/rough texture sets from Substance painter 2 and I had to create the cream and brown painted metal in Substance Designer 5 as It had a particular grain to it. I nDo'd some elements as it was quicker and did the text in Photoshop.

Having used Substance Designer a lot in the past and really enjoying it I wasn't sure how I would feel using Painter. But in summary, Painter is awesome! :)

If there's any questions let me know and I'll share more.

Replies