Home Technical Talk

Rifle Model With Custom Attachments UV and Texture Layout Question

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Sean_P polycounter lvl 3

Hey Guys,

I've modelled out a high poly Remington rifle with a few attachments and custom replacements. I'm in the process of modelling the low poly and am thinking about UV layout and texture space.

I would love some help and advice on deciding how to layout the model UV's/texture space.

Options I can think of:

1. One texture sheet for the parts that don't change, individual sheet for attachments and an atlas for custom alternatives

2. One texture sheet for the parts that don't change, individual sheet for attachments and custom alternatives

3. One texture sheet for everything

3. One texture sheet for the parts that don't change, multiple texture atlases for custom and attachments

I have seen in games that attachments have been given there own textures (like scopes and sights that will be used on multiple weapons)  which makes sense.

Custom alternatives: grip, VTR barrel, threaded barrel, bolt, bolt lever, magazine

Unique attachments: Picatinny rail, iron sights, 45 degree iron sights, scope, front grip, bipod, silencer and multiple muzzle breaks not shown here.

I have more pictures here if your interested https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l6le5

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I worked on Brink, what we did was: one texture set for the base weapon, with no attachments, and then another texture set for each type of attachment.

So a rifle that had a swappable sight, mag, muzzle, and under-barrel attachment option would use up to 5 texture sets.

This is a pretty common way to do things, and the big reason why is texture memory. If you put absolutely everyone on one map, you're loading a lot of texture data that you don't need, given a fixed amount of VRAM/texture size, your textures will be lower resolution if you load everything rather than just what you need.

Also, with individual texture sets, you don't run into problems sharing assets. Let's say you model an M4, and an EOTech can be attached to the M4. You want to use the EOTech on any number of other assets, so you wouldn't want the EOTech to share the same texture as the M4, otherwise you're being very wasteful with your VRAM.

For personal work it doesn't really matter, but still I think it's important to understand concepts of modularity and asset reuse.

tl;dr: #2.

• Sean_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean_P polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Earthquake for the reply and insight...very helpful :)

By the way, idea when Marmoset 3 is to be released???...pls
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, when it's ready! Sometime later this year as all I can say for now.