Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo Style Environment (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
Having a crack at a Halo corridor. I am smashing together a bunch of concepts I have found to try and offer up something a bit unique. 

I haven't really built an environment before and from my last attempt at one I have made sure to dial this one back to within the realms of achievable. Still a lot to go and always keen for feedback as I go. 

Replies

• Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    What is the guard rail walling off? It prevents access to the wall, but there does not appear to be reason to do so. What are your plans for that area?
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good so far! As a general tip make sure you utilize your assets in a purposeful manner. So for the rails  have them block off something a player wouldn't want to get near or touch. If not I would suggest moving the rail closer to the wail. Can't wait to see it with textures! 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Savannakhet @Aeseeberg04 . Thanks for the feedback!

This is the layout that I am basing it on. That's why the rail is there. The corner look like it has a drop and the other rail  looks to block off players from the wall generator things. But like I said I am mashing together a lot of different reference so if the rail doesn't work I can easily ditch it.

I was thinking of maybe trying to mash it up with doom. Make it look like the demons have come to the halo world, but might be too much of a stretch.

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, haven't really had much time to work on this, had my first freelance type gig and also quit my salary job so I can try and devote the most possible time to getting better at 3D. Scary times!

Here is just a quick update, I struggle the most with colour, how to pick colour themes and knowing what works well together. For example I want an orange overall material for most of the objects to tie the environment together, but finding a good orange that will look right with the hazard yellow and other colours is a bit of a struggle etc.

Also I am wanting to take this all and make it more "Doom" inspired. My god Doom is such a great game.

All of these are still way off from being any where finished. As always keen for feedback and crits! :awesome: 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not gonna lie, floundering a bit, Need to learn more about UE4 and how to get it to looky as sexy as it does in Substance.  

The permissiveness is way over the top and the textures just aren't popping yet. Need to figure out how to light this properly as well. 
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the material definition on that orange door, nice work. Don't get discouraged, lighting is everything in UE4, just keep playing with dynamic/static lights until you can make them pop. Also adding parameters so you can tweak in engine helps a lot.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benvox2  Thanks man. Had a look in the Unreal Docs and parameters are going to help. I really like the orange too but I am struggeling to make it all blend, So I have given the objects all a neutral material and am trying to get them all in the scene. Once in the scene I think it should be easier to figure out how the colour should flow.

I'm getting some weird highlight around some of the geo. I think I may have left some roughness in some of my dirt texture but when looking at the roughness channel in Substance there seems to be nothing there.

Lastly, I am really enjoying playing with UE4 but god damn I wish it had the same controls as Maya haha. The panning is opposite with the middle mouse. Haven't figured out how to change it yet.

Just trying to get some cool floor shapes here and wall supports. Not even sure if you'll be able to see it in the render at the end. But still good practice.

• GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GameArtifact polycounter lvl 7

Hi @BucketOfNuggets !

if you use Substance Painter, there is this tutorial from Allegorithmic that explains export texture process, maybe it can be useful  ;)

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    This looks sexy, looking forward to the end result :D
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GameArtifact thanks man, it came in handy! 

@gfelton  Thanks mate, hope not to disappoint!

I Think I am slowly getting there, added a few more things into UE4. Started playing with the texture editor in UE4 to play with roughness values. I really dig how UE4 lets you play with the textures. Much better than Unity.

Does anyone know why the scene looks different in the Viewport as opposed to when I "play" the scene.

Just going to make the roof next and than more props. Still need to get some colour in this scene and zazz up the lighting. 

Always keen for feedback :D 

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update, added in the roof, played with the lighting and roughness more. I am wanting to add in some subtle dust that gets hit by the light. I thought it may have had something to do with the fog effects but that seems to just make everything worse. Does anyone know what I should be googling to get that effect? 

Was thinking of maybe having a guys shadow come out of the door on the side menacingly and not showing exactly what it is.

Either way throw some feedback at me, always keen on how to do things better and ideas. :chuffed:  

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really struggling to take this scene to the next level, it all just feels bland to me. Just can't get the lighting right and the fog thing is still a bit beyond me but at least all the pieces are now in UE4.

I will make a computer screen for the corner like in the concept and maybe make a computer terminal for the door as well as another crate to break up the floor a bit. 

• hell-dew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell-dew polycounter lvl 4
    Add in an ambient light i think it will help show off your scene a lot more. The blacks are kinda hiding a lot of your meshes from what i can see above you definitely got the feel of a halo style in the models though.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    This has really progressed well! +1 to adding a bit more ambient light, and I know you are going for a particular look, but maybe by adding some colour variation it will look more lively? Things such as metal panel colour and lights?
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have gone back to the drawing board with the texturing, I have started to add in more colour and make the walls more of a flatter painted colour as opposed to being mostly metal. Going to try and copy the Pillar of Autumn type of feel.  I changed up some of the geo here and will probably go through and change a few things as I go. 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting Fresh, I think it is looking better so far. Learnt how to do the dark sky properly and where AO goes. Man I am rookie with UE4 :surprised:

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out my biggest lighting problem, the adaptive eye thing. 

I went in to the substance file and turned down all roughness on my dirt areas and what not but I am still getting a weird high lighted section around certain section 

Also thinking that I might just make it a simpler walk way like it is now instead of having the second door. Will be easier to light and easier to read. 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I am a goose, for some reason I thought red was roughness and green was AO. Still lots to go but at least that is sorted now.