Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Confused with Minimum requirement.

hawkenfox
null
I bought Quixel when I found out it supports CS3. As I am still using the old junk on my
end. Then I experience the communication between CS3 and quixel not working very well.
To be specific, the loaded mesh wouldn't load at times or update properly.

Then I read the minimum requirement again, it says

The minimum system requirements for The SUITE are as follows:

- Windows 7, 64-bit only
- Photoshop CS3 Standard/Extended, 64-bit
- 8GB of RAM
- 1.5 GHz CPU
- Dedicated GPU (Nvidia GTX 600 series, or comparable specifications)
- At least 16GB of scratch disk memory reserved for Photoshop (i.e. 16GB free on the hard drive Photoshop is using as a scratch disk)

And now I realised I am running a 32 bit version of photoshop CS3 , so I hit the internet searching for a 64bit CS3 version and it seems that there were never a 64bit version of Photoshop CS3 ever made .... So now I am totallsy confused ... what does 64 bit means in the minimum requirement FAQ by quixel??

You can read about a little history of Photoshop on it's 64bit beginning only in CS4 versions onwards here, https://www.facebook.com/notes/علی-ظہور/photoshop-32-bit-x86-or-64-bit/794376010586262/

Someone please enlighted me?

Also the multi Normal fuction doesn't work for CS3 at all if anyone plans to buy Quixel on Photoshop CS3

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It appears that CS3 is a mistake on our part. I'll get the site updated to reflect that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Regarding NDO - this is located on our site - I'll see if we can get the documentation updated a bit for newer users. :)

PROS/CONS - MULTI-NORMAL & SINGLE-NORMAL

MULTI-NORMAL

+ Paint directly with normal colors 
    + No converting 
    + Combine an infinite amount of different layers, vectors, filters and other effects in one and the same group, non-destructively 
    + Super-fast zipping/unzipping and leaving/entering sculpt mode 
    + Support for Sculpt mode for higher performance 
    - Requires CS6 
    - No support for more bevels than Inner Bevel as well as Plane-Fill

In the meantime, would it be possible to upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop, like a Creative Cloud subscription plan? CS6 and up has quite a few features and improvements over the version you're using, which at this point is close 10 years old - so naturally, some features in SUITE will not function in CS3 due to the additional features available in newer versions of Photoshop.

• hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    OMG ... feeling all warm and fussy for buying a tool I can't use properly >_<.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Have you considered upgrading to a newer version of Photoshop? I would recommend doing this anyhow as CS3 is a very dated tool and is years behind in development compared to other products.
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    Couldn't afford the upgrade at the moment, is there a refund policy for the Quixel software ? I will come back when I have got a newer version of Photoshop in the future. Oh dear, please tell me there is a refund policy. I did download a trail version of CS6 and got lots of issue with quixel too. Example while changing the albedo color on DDO the texture disappear on 3DO and when back to the default gray. The model tutorial is the Lion from Quixel's website. I have installed it various times as I have issues with it running along side Photoshop CS3. Sometimes the model would not even load onto 3do and insist to desplay the default cube instead. Stability is really an issue too, regardless of Photoshop CS3 or CS6 Trail I installed.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Please send an e-mail to cyra@quixel.se and she'll get you set up with a refund if you're within the purchase period limits. Sorry about the trouble!
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    I will give quixel a few more shots on CS6 trail ... and see how it goes. How long is the purchase period limits?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Should be within a month or two from the date of purchase. If you'd like some personalized assistance to get CS6 up and running, we can schedule a time to sit down in the Quixel Hangout together and screen-share so I can see what's going on for you. :)
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    Yeah I probably need alot of help setting this up. Cos the normal are disappearing from the model. At first it loads fine. Then it disappear if I try to apply materials on the model. I try to force refresh and then the materials will disappear all together  ... it's like random behavior almost impossible to troubleshoot what's going on. It feels really buggy. And some times Adobe photoshop throws syntax error messages. Saying that it could not save .tga file because the file name isn't valid?? Could we make an appointment soon. And reinstalling Quixel suite more than once seems to wreck the window registry and I have to use ccleaner to fix those errors in the registry after removing the formal installation.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We can look into it further, but the behavior you're describing sounds like you may have more troubles than just SUITE - Windows shouldn't be behaving like that for reinstalled programs.

I'm generally open all day on weekends, so if you'd like to meet up, please shoot me an e-mail (It goes directly to my phone) to jonathan @ quixel . se
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    I managed to solved the issue as Quxiel is starting to show more stablity than previous installation.

I will just post my solution here for future reference to those who may just stumble upon this post.

1. Quxiel only has 64 bit version. There is no 32 bit version of Quixel.
    2. Quxiel need 64bit Photoshop to operate properly, 64 bit Photoshop only exist after version CS4.
    3. Recommended Photoshop version you should have is CS6 as one of the newer feature "Multi Normals" only works with CS6 and onwards.

4. Make sure your windows OS is updated.
    5. Make sure your video card driver is updated.
    6. Make sure your version of Photoshop did not miss any update packages. You will have to search for Photoshop update for your version on adobe website to download update packages and check if your version of photoshop has the latest update.

7. Make sure you do not work your quixel project on a NAS or Google drive with sync turn on, apparrently quixel don't behave well with online cloud  or over the network kinda workflow. So work on your locate drive and then transfer those file if you have to, or turn off Cloud sync while working and turn on sync after you have finished and closed your files.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Quixel SUITE is indeed 64-bit only. There's no 64-bit version of Quixel though. Our company has too many bits to be reduced to mere computer terminology! ;)

I wouldn't work off Google Drive on any machine for any project due to the inherent limitations of cloud-based saving. If you save a huge file, Drive has to update it. If you save again while it's still uploading, there's a very real potential for conflict. This isn't limited to Quixel's products - any software will produce this result if the file saves conflict with an active upload.

Good advice though, thank you for sharing this with our community!
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It does take some time to get things updated. I'll pass it along for you. Thanks again!