Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal character WIP plus Maya PBR Viewport

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
brurpo polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!

Did not have much time to continue my Maya viewport PBR shader (http://polycount.com/discussion/163114/maya-my-shaderfx-uber-shader) because work got insane and drained all my time.

But now I am on vacation. I must rest a little haha, but made some time here and there to work on a personal character for a game me and my friend had in mind for a long time.

Also, I've made some major reworks on the shader and made it sRGB.
When its done, if there is enough interest, I will post a download link (will also work on 3dsMax).

Please, if you have the time I will love some crits!

HDR is from sIBL archive.

Thanks!

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Looks promising. Although I don't think the skin looks quite right yet. Something with the spec/reflections. Maybe needs some more pronounced highlights at certain areas and maybe sharper? Not quite sure.

How are you handling the transparency sorting? No issues?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    The feathers look really soft and convincing. Maybe a bit too harsh cut-off at the edges.
  • brurpo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brurpo polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your time kodde! As always so very cool of you to share your thoughts!!

Yeah, skin is giving me headaches.
    Made some progress on the following screen (changed hdri also). Not quite there yet, in part because of the shader and another because of the textures.

I am using opacity and cutoff combined. So I can get transparent shadows and soft transparency. This method solves a lot of sorting issues too. Using object sorting and getting very little and subtle issues. No need to use depth peeling.

The cutoff of the feathers may be my texture.

Thanks again!