Home Technical Talk

Help? Zbrush - Quicksave files always corrupting & size diff between ZPR/ZTL

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

So I have had a whole bunch of problems with Zbrush when I hit a certain point of detail/complexity on a project, Zbrush becomes almost totally useless, as I cannot load any quicksaves. 

I'm working on a file that is 3.2mill polys in total. 8 subtools. No real paint data. When I quicksave this file it sits at around 2.4 gigs, and when I try and load the quicksave I get the "Error has been encountered while trying to load a Tool. Loading has been aborted." shit. However if I save as a ZTL file the size is 37.7mb and I can load 'em fine. 

What gives? Why are the sizes so massively different? What am I doing wrong/missing here? I dig Zbrush but this has happened on EVERY project I have done in Zbrush, and I swear it is taking years off my life (and money out of my wallet) with the amount of rage & stress it has caused. 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Are you saving the undo buffer in the project? This can massively bloat zpr filesizes
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went into the quicksave section under preferences and highlighted "skip history" I noticed that "optimise" was already highlighted, so both of them are on, and file sizes are still gigantic. I also went into the History section and turned off the "Enable saving". Stored config and files sizes are no different, and I still can't load the quicksave files :/

Is this a common problem? Or is this unusual?  

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird. I've never encountered this problem at all. My own settings are: Undo History> enable saving disabled - skip loading enabled.  Quicksave> skip history disabled.(yes I know this is counter-intuitive but it works for me so I don't touch it! :) )
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Jarvgrimr said:
    Is this a common problem? Or is this unusual? 
    I just had this with a character. I have 16 gig ram, a quick SSD and an i7 processor. I think the project had just reached its limit when I introduced an assault rifle :) Splitting up the character and the weapon into 2 seperate projects fixed the corrupt quicksave problem.
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm. Well I already split up the project twice; clothing in one, accessories & weapon in another, and it was the "smaller" file that was causing issue. And after a random crash, a quicksave managed to actually work... so no idea wtf is going on with this thing. My PC is fairly old... except for the GPU so maybe it's all just starting to die.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using beta64bit? How much ram have you got?
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16gb and yeah I am using 64bit. 
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Oh no, it has actually mirrored all my subtools at once, and inverted the normals. Somehow. While I was sculpting. So everything is backwards and inside out. Dear gods. 

• Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I found the culprit in the initial file. I had an IMM bolt on a tool that I had dynamic Subdiv'd, it was REALLY high poly, after the subdiv, to the point of causing such a massive problem. The Quicksaves are working now. So now I wonder if every project I've ever done has had some utterly overdone bit of IMM in it... hrm. Probably.

Cheers for popping in with some suggestions and feedback Musashidan & Kanga, it's much appreciated :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Your welcome, and thanks for telling us how you fixed the problem. The rifle I had in my character project was a really high poly dynamesh so the cause of my problem sounds similar to yours. Will keep an eye on those stray hipoly bits too from now on.