Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Blender] Preston Hollow House Exterior Arch VIz

kendoran
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kendoran polycounter lvl 8
Hi All,

I've been working on this new render for a while and am at a point where I'm stuck as to what to do next. I feel like I'm getting close to the reference image ( http://i.imgur.com/i09Pkt8.jpg  ) but something is looking a bit off to me, and I can't figure out exactly what.  I'm keen to get some critiques and tips on where to go next with it. Cheers!

Here's the latest render. I haven't done any post-processing yet:

Replies

• Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    Post box looks a little big compared to the reference
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    I think it's looking great so far. A couple of things: the dark color in the image looks more like it is a really dark charcoal brown rather than a charcoal grey as you've shown.  Also the pavers in front are too wide they should be thinner strips.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Looks great! What about a red mail box? How big is your monitor?
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    1. the glass entrance door goes all the way up to the ceiling in the reference. Yours has a section of wall at the top at least that is what it looks like.

2. Windows could be a little darker if you want to be accurate to the reference

3. Post box is massive in comparison to the reference

4. bricks could be "cleaner" the brick pattern in the reference is a lot clearer than yours currently.

5.  You changed the house number I assume that was for a reason.

6. You're missing the window on the left of the entrance door unless that is a window and it has a "blind" on it?
  • kendoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, exactly the advice I needed; I've got a new render, and it's looking heaps better to me so far. I need to do a bit more, and will aim to upload it tomorrow.

KillNPC, I've got a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor. It's pretty tough - it's lasted nearly ten years, and four computers!

Dagon, for point 6, that is a window with a blind behind it. There must be something about the lighting in that spot which makes it look as if there is no window. I'll see what I can do to make it clearer, maybe put a dark curtain behind it much like in the reference photo.

• kendoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, here's the new render:

1. I've adjusted the color of the wood to a more brown tone
    2. The entrance way glass now goes all the way to the top
    3. Windows are a bit darker
    4. New bricks which have much better definition
    5. Scaled down the house number
    6. Scaled down the letterbox. It's still not looking quite right to me. I think I'll need to do another pass on this.
    7. I was having trouble with the lower windows, so I Put a second set of blinds behind them
    8. I can't remember why I picked that number for the house, but yep it was intentional at one point!
    9. There are some firefly artifacts in the lower windows, I'll clean them up as a post-process step in one of the more final renders.

There's something about the entrance way which still doesn't look quite right to me, and I'm wondering if the concrete driveway needs to be a bit dirtier?

I'm really happy with how this has improved since starting this thread a couple of days ago. I feel like it's getting pretty close to being finished. Any other tips or suggestions?

• kendoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

1. Removed the letterbox; I was having trouble making it work and decided it's not really needed in the image
    2. Moved concrete tiles closer together
    3. Added a low intensity spotlight, aiming at the entrance way to brighten it up a bit
    4. Removed the fireflies via 500 sample render and setting "Clamp Indirect" to 3 in Blender
    5. Used Unsharpen Mask in Photoshop to sharpen things up a bit.

• kendoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message