Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Sapper - Trigger man

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7

Wanted to play around with a few things in this anim.  First was using a static image for a background while still having camera moves.  Achieved this by building a proxy env based off pedestrians as a scale, then figuring out a somewhat close focal length and position of the camera based off the perspective of the image.  To get camera moves, I parented a second camera under the aligned camera and only did rotation and focal changes to keep the perspective lines.  It's called a 'nodal move' in film, dunno if there's a more official title.

The other aspect was conveying personality as quickly and minimally as possible.  So for the Sapper, making him feel rather indifferent to what he's done.  Had a lot of fun animating the little cover that pops open of all things.  Sapper was keyframed straight ahead without ref.

For the rest: grey guy was mocap, explosion was an animated card, debris is from a script of mine, and I added some crossing semi tranparent cloud planes between the camera and the characters to push the depth a bit more.

Rig available here