Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Undine - Undertale

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
theStoff greentooth
Hey Guys I found this cool redesign concept of Undine and thought I'd model it for kicks. If anyone has any feedback on my progress so far I'd really appreciate it. I feel I'm going in the right direction but some stuff feels wonky. 

The concept can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d4gXX

Final Sculpt:

Latest:

Replies

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Edited proportions a bit and started refining the armor :smile:

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Belts, Belts everywhere. Didn't realize how belt heavy this was until I got to making them. Anyway still plugging away. Any feedback is always good! :smile:

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I like how you interpreted the concept for the face, although it's softer/more calm than the concept I think it works.
    Other than that you could push some forms more, mainly the forearms, the lower legs and a little bit her butt.
    Overall like the direction this is going, keep at it!
  • cybuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cybuster polycounter lvl 3
    I like the progress you have so far, but before anything I feel you should take it into tpose and push the proportions a bit more to look similar to the original concept.

The concept is slimmer and the shoulder pads should be slightly larger.

the metal parts of the gauntlets need to be inflated a bit so that they fall over the hand.

The torso plate seems perfectly fine, that part is good to go for detail work.

Exaggerate a bit the metal on the grieves, they seem too evenly distributed whereas the concept goes from big to small.

That's all I can see for now that needs immediate improving along with everything else your already working on.

Can't wait to see an update. :D
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks so much for the input games! :smile: 

AgelosAp Glad you like the face but I think I needed to pull the sharpness back in there. The arms and legs definitely needed refinement so I've worked on those.

cybuster You make very good points. I did stray a bit off the proportion a bit. I slimed her up a little but I don't know what to do about the shoulder pads. As it stands, any bigger and they won't attach to her shoulder. I'm hoping to avoid floating armor. Definitely agreed about the grieves and have modified the size variation.

Lastly I also posed and colored the face to see if it's close to the concept :smile:.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey Stoff, love your work!

this is Turing out great, you managed to capture the concept really well, this might be nitpicking but I think the neck could be a tad longer and the head slightly larger.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @lotet  Thanks! You're right about the neck looking long but I think it was because the chest plate was a bit high so i lowered it. :smile:

I also added more details and rebuild the scale-mail it was pretty messy before.

Here's some work on the spear too.

• Pomb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pomb polycounter lvl 5
    Woah this is looking rad, I like the slenderness of the concept more, and the way her belt quilt thing hangs a tad lower and baggy, feels a little more gangster! I'm struggling to do hard surface in zbrush myself, but you seem to have a good handle on it. The pauldrons are coming out really tight. Nice work, looking forward to seeing the finished version.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    New scales are looking great, is it micromesh?
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Really dig the work on the spear. I can't even imagine where I'd begin to model something like that. I'll be watching this thread to see what I can learn!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @pomb Yeah you're probably right about the slenderness. I was trying to ground it more in reality but I might adjust it on the final low poly. For the hard surface I usually create a base in Maya to make it clean haha.

@lotet The old ones were actually micro. Now it's just a pattern I applied as a mask and extruded. I was having trouble with the overlapping of the scales before. With it being a pattern they all overlapped as I wanted. I also placed a few loose ones at the bottom by hand to hide the fact that they were just extruded. :pleased:

@ryebot I think I have that recorded. If I do I'll put up a viddeo when it's all done :smile:

And here's an update. Lowpoly is made and texturing has begun. Next step is hair, then the spear and a final pass over everything.

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    And now hair. Spear time!

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm, it's really excellently done, but I don't think the textures and materials fit the sculpt, they look very realistic while the shapes and design looks like something more out of overwatch, I think it would look better if you gave her more of these flat material that these characters tend to have (Looking at it a bit more, I think it's mainly the metal on the chest and shoulders that rubs me the wrong way). Hope it helps, great job so far!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @Maxilator Thanks for your input! You do make a good point. I didn't end up changing it for the final but it was something I looked in to :smile:

Well here is the result. It is done. I also made a little comic based off a cutscene from the game for fun. Hope you all like it.

model
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Excellent character! Love that you went the extra mile and actually made a comic and added animation to the Sketchfab model. Shows that you had a lot of fun with the her. :)
    In case you are still open to making some small changes though, I would definitely recommend darkening the sky on the first batch of presentation shots and the  comic. Her metal armor tends to get lost against the grey background. Something darker as in the Sketchfab model and maybe even some glow as in the concept would help her stand out better I think.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, love how this turned out. character looks great! not liking the environment/presentation though. would love to see some highres shots with just the character on a plain background with maybe a cast shadow or something.  The character deserves to be in focus!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    @DerRazputin  @lotet  Thanks for the input guys! I did have a lot of fun! You do make good points though. I don't think I'll change the comic but I did make a more clear display image to display the character a little better :smile: 

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character