Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aborigine Model "Take 2"

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Bubblez polycounter lvl 3
Soooooo, the last time I worked on this was last year around this time, from what my files say. And the last time I Uploaded any work, from this project, to Polycount, was when I first stepped foot into the Film industry as a compositor. I think this was the last image I uploaded to my Tumblr. I even had a Lowres with UV's ready to bake.

Weeeeeellll, time for an Update. I've started a new Thread because the old one has, basically, all of the images missing. Here is the original Concept Once again.

Replies

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the most recent shots that I've been working on, for the past few days. I remember a lot of comments about the deviation from the original concept. I've decided to step back and at least stay closer to the overall silhouette. Im also going to redo the hair. I've learned from a past project that the shape of the chunks will not play well for the most part. I've also fount another hair tutorial but there is lots of chunks missing. If anyone could help me fill in the blanks that would be awesome. You can find the Tut HERE

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Looking at the concept, I think the chin part of the helmet is more... angular. and extrudes a bit further from her face.... Anyhow.

I use that hair tutorial before as well. It does pretty good job. What missing chunk you want ?
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern said:
    Looking at the concept, I think the chin part of the helmet is more... angular. and extrudes a bit further from her face.... Anyhow.

I use that hair tutorial before as well. It does pretty good job. What missing chunk you want ?

Thanks for offering to help Pyrzern. Sorry it took so long to reply. I thought I did already but every time I try to reply on my phone, it saves it to a draft instead of actually submitting the reply. I think I've got everything pretty understood from the Tut up until step 10, 11, and 12. It just seems to skip over way too much information there.

Here is an image of the side view like in the concept. I'd say I've got the shape pretty close. There are still some little things that I could edit though. I'll go and edit it some more.

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, after looking at it more, now that you've said it, I've got to change a lot more then I thought about the helmet. Close enough isn't that good XD
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you PYRZERN for making me look at it more critically. I went and redid parts of the helmet to match closer to the concept. Its still a bit off, but this is what I have right now.

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, but a....HANDY one! *Ba dum TISH* 

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post. Admittedly, I sort of lost my steam for a second but Im getting it back slowly. I just needed a break for a second. I also might have to step away from this for a second to do some props and environments, as I've gotten feed back on what I need for my portfolio. I've redone the hair. Im pretty happy, for now I guess. Until I get to texturing an realize that I need more strands.

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the base texture for the face down. Have to add some reds, greens, and blues next. 

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    nice texturing job on the skin so far! in the concept the 3 plates on top of the helmet stick out further and affect the silhouette more.
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tectonic  Thank you, you were right about the head plates, I brought them out a bit more. 

I've got to work on the spec maps a bit more. Its suppose to be like a latex bodysuit sort of. Right now, it just looks like thick rubber. This is definitely just a W.I.P at the moment. But more input would be awwwwwesome.

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've been up since 9am yesterday. I haven't stoped working on this all day. Its 3 hours from the 24 hour mark and I think I can say that Im done with the body textures. This will probably be the last little update.... Until I wake up in a few hours and realized everything wrong with it because I've been looking at it too long. The next ones will probably be of it posed and fuly textured. Just have the hair, parts of the face, and some work to do on the eyes. Sooooooooooooo cloooooose.

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Your dedication to this project is certainly paying off, I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the hair and face completed! :)
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton said:
    Your dedication to this project is certainly paying off, I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the hair and face completed! :)
    Thanks! Getting completely engulfed and so into the zone, to the point where you lose all sense of time, is one of my favorite feelings...at the moment at least. The next day usually sucks XD. I'm currently sick so I've closed myself off from the world for the time being with nothing else to do. Good thing I enjoy it so much.  
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I lied about that other one being the last little update. So what, you wanna fight about it? lol Gave the face some more love inside of Toolbag2. And finally got the face visor glass thing to look right.

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posed up almost done. Probably gonna make a quick stand and call it done.

Sooooo, hair is hard. This was the best I could get after messing with it all day. I dont know what else to do or how to go about making it not look like poo...

• Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do know one problem that with the hair actually. And its that there is no gloss. Its flat and stuffffff.

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not too keen on the color but I suppose you want to follow the concept. As for more specific critique, first of all, I don't think the hair works right now, the alpha is way too covering and makes it look like leaves, I would recommend doing something like this to make your texture http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/ I've gotten some pretty nice results following this.

The color things in the hair looks very odd as well, from the concept they read more like hair clips to me, the way they are now (sprayed on color?) they should at least be more varied like the strands are offset from each other, but I think it would work better just making them like clips. 

Apart from that I think the sculpt looks pretty solid but I some edges are a bit too sharp, especially on the helmet. And yes I would add more specular to the hair, make sure you use anisotropic for the best results on hair. Hope it helps!
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator said:
    I'm not too keen on the color but I suppose you want to follow the concept. As for more specific critique, first of all, I don't think the hair works right now, the alpha is way too covering and makes it look like leaves, I would recommend doing something like this to make your texture http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/ I've gotten some pretty nice results following this.

The color things in the hair looks very odd as well, from the concept they read more like hair clips to me, the way they are now (sprayed on color?) they should at least be more varied like the strands are offset from each other, but I think it would work better just making them like clips. 

Apart from that I think the sculpt looks pretty solid but I some edges are a bit too sharp, especially on the helmet. And yes I would add more specular to the hair, make sure you use anisotropic for the best results on hair. Hope it helps!
    Hey thanks for the input. I have gotten comments about the colors from my friends. Im not that big of a fan with the colors, but yeah, I'm trying to keep to the concept. Did you come across my post in the "What are you working on 2016" by any chance? Because I was just asking for help with the hair so thank you. If you look a little further back in my thread, I actually reference that exact tut. I started out with it, someone was going to help me fill in the blanks because it just around a lot and skips over some important steps. I knew from the very beginning that I was going to have trouble with it. Im gonna give it a round 3 soon. Thank you for the input again.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bubblez I see, sorry, I didn't read through the thread before replying. It's strange that you had problems with the tutorial, it's pretty descriptive but if you'd like to describe what you were unable to follow I might be able to help you with it.
  • Bubblez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Maxilator Oh no, its alright. Im glad you mentioned it too. For the most part, it pretty straight forward and I can guess on how he did some parts. But as it goes on it seems to skip over some of the texture creation process. I expect that he just did a grabDoc out of zbrush and then just edited it further in Photoshop. It was mostly me rushing and trying to get it finished that I started to just do some terrible stuff to cut corners instead of doing it right. So I think I just need to spend some more time doing it.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried using the grab dock but I just find it fiddly and convoluted, what i generally do is that i just make a plane that has the aspect ratio that my texture will have and paint the curves on it, then I just export the high poly strands and open them up in maya, make a capture plane and cage that covers the strands and bake it out in xNormal like a regular model.