Home Technical Talk

Knald optimizing mesh data takes very long

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey i'm trying to bake with knald but optimizing mesh data takes so long it's been stuck around 60-70% for 45 minutes now my highpoly is around 30 mil polys. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    30 million is a very dense mesh. Almost any tool is going to have trouble. Optimize your model before baking, at least to remove unused detail in the flat areas.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    30 million is a very dense mesh. Almost any tool is going to have trouble. Optimize your model before baking, at least to remove unused detail in the flat areas.
    Hey thanks for the reply will keep an eye on the polycount but i never had this problem with xNormal but, I'm really liking knald except for the optimizing mesh data time haha.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No matter which tool you use, you will save processing time, and storage space, by optimizing a little after sculpting. You don't lose anything by doing this, I don't understand the reluctance frankly.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Eric Chadwick

Thanks definitely going to do that.

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Just noticed this thread.
    This looks like something mesh specific that is causing the long mesh processing within Knald as although 30m is a very dense mesh it isn't something that Knald should have too many problems with (The current limit within Knald is around 75-80 million triangles but this will increase in the future). Usually something around 30m should take a couple of mins at most, and 95% of the time much faster.

Can you send me the meshes at all? It would be nice to find out what the problem is so we can fix it within Knald.
    You can PM me the link to the upload or email it to support@knaldtech.com

Cheers!

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Just noticed this thread.
    This looks like something mesh specific that is causing the long mesh processing within Knald as although 30m is a very dense mesh it isn't something that Knald should have too many problems with (The current limit within Knald is around 75-80 million triangles but this will increase in the future). Usually something around 30m should take a couple of mins at most, and 95% of the time much faster.

Can you send me the meshes at all? It would be nice to find out what the problem is so we can fix it within Knald.
    You can PM me the link to the upload or email it to support@knaldtech.com

Cheers!

Hey,

Thanks for the reply i don't have the meshes anymore, i ended up baking them out in xNormal.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the reply!
    If you have the same issue in the future please be sure to let us know :)