Home Technical Talk

Maya - Split straight line in UVs?

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
So I've been working a lot with texture atlases lately at work, which means a lot of finding ways to make my UVs fit into a square with minimal distortion. I'm using Maya.
For flat objects like floors, it's simple, since I can just put an outline around the texture in photoshop, apply it to the model, and from an orthographic view, use the cut faces tool to cut along the visible grid. It's not exact, but with some snapping in the UV editor, I can make it work; then I can either split the UVs along those lines, or flip them in a way to make them fit in the square.
But with 3D objects, that workflow doesn't work at all. Which led me to wonder, is there a way within the UV editor to cut a straight line (from the perspective of the UVs, at least) in the mesh? Or maybe to automate cuts along the 0-1 UV space, like below?
It would speed up this sort of thing so so much.
(And yes, I know it would reflect on the mesh topology, and it may not look pretty, topologically; but that's totally fine for me)

Thanks for any help, guys.

Edit: Thinking about it more basically, I want to cut straight lines into my mesh using UV screen space.