Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time trying hand-painted textures - Please critique

elitrope
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
elitrope vertex
After much contemplating joining the community or not, I've decided to cast away my shyness and anxiety and post a little bit of what I'm currently doing in hopes I can receive critique.

That being said, I've been really interested in hand painted textures and decided to try a couple of things with a very simple model.

With this little model I experimented with Zspheres, which I quite liked, a little bit of sculpting, retopology and low-poly modeling and hand painted textures... yeah, sounds like a lot.

I did a little concept to lay out the general idea, then I sculpted it on zbrush to have a defined mass, exported it to blender and did the retopo. The texture was done mixing photoshop and the in app blender texture paint.

Again, my main focus in this exercise was to try low poly modeling and hand painted textures, so I'm hoping anyone could give me some critique so I can continue further polishing the piece and apply whatever I learn from you guys in future projects.

Thank you very much in advance!

Here's the quick concept: 

And here's the finished product in Sketchfab, if you need aditional sources (more images), please tell me!

model

Replies

• elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    Nothing guys? I would really appreciate it!
  • ErikaVerkaaik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly, he's pretty adorable! I love his little feet :)
    I like the areas on the back and face where you have hand painted in the fur.
    I know it would be a lot more work but it would look really good to add more of that throughout.

Also, the colours feel a little flat or maybe the shadows do not feel deep enough  - if you are using something like Photoshop this is an easy fix. You should be able to achieve this by playing with the levels or tone curves like so:

This darkens the line work around the lines and makes the shadows a little more prominent.
  • elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    Thank you Erika! I do plan on working the fur a little bit more, specially since I noted the fur on the belly is now rendering as it should be and it's mirrored.

Also, I'll look at the levels of the texture and post an update when I have it.

If anyone else has anymore suggestions or critiques, I'm more than happy to hear them!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    It's cute :)

I feel like you doesn't necesseraly need more details but more shading/gradients all over the place would look good. For instance a gradient that darkens the feet and lighten the head/torso always looks good on those kind of props.
    Simple plain/under-detailled cartoon props like that often heavily rely on gradients for the redability and appealing
  • elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    Thanks Cremuss,

I really wanted it to be something really simple in order to experiment with things really quick, that's why I went with the cute type of asset, since I think those ones are the one that can get away with being simple really easy.

I'll try your suggestion too, since I was really in the dark about what to do or how to proceed in the whole thing I really wanted some feedback, I really never thought of using gradients so thanks for the help!
  • elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    A long time has passed since I last replied here. A lot of personal stuff has happened in life.

Anyway, here's another attemp I did at hand painting textures, this time following some of the advise from before. I realize it's still far from perfect but I would like to hear your advise to continue improving this little guys and my habilities in general.

I decided to paint a little more detailed fur in some places as well as using the gradient in zones I wanted to highlight. Personally I really liked how the fur in the legs look, though I think I can get better. Also, the tuff of fur in his belly was specially difficult for me because I really didn't want to paint outlines, but I felt like I had to in order to propperly separate the hair sections over there.

Please leave your comments, I really appreciate it.

model