Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Corridor - Need Feedback

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kibbles26 polycounter lvl 2
So i got permission to use a piece of concept and I'm just trying to recreate as closely as possible, would appreciated some feedback. All feedback is welcome
Unreal Version

Concept

Replies

• Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will turn down the emmisive and lights so its a bit darker. Unsure why the texture on the divider is different from the wall, when they are in fact the same materials in Substance Painter
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Still looking for some feedback

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting scene but I find it quite boring, the concept has more going on the walls and a bit lighter to see as well. Right now there is not much visual interest
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SKYLINE5GTRskyline5gtr said:
    Interesting scene but I find it quite boring, the concept has more going on the walls and a bit lighter to see as well. Right now there is not much visual interest
    Thanks for the feedback, I agree it's look a bit to dark on the sides, the detail is there! Just not really seen :/ I will get to work on the lighting more
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another update, still a lot more to do

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I recommend adding a steam particle effect coming out from one of the sides, another thing you might want to try and do is break up the repitition, repition gets boring and you will need to add some unique elements to make this really come together. Also add some color variation, with the lighting or some difference with the strength of the lights for some sections, for instance you could have it building up to your back door there with the lights getting brighter as they get closer to the door, that will make the scene look more interesting. your pipes are really tiling at the moment and you can see that with the texture and also the supports. What I would recommend is creating 3 variations of the piping for both the texture and the supports.
    That way you can break up the repition and it doesn't seem like its tiling. 
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SZIADA thankyou! Some great ideas! I will implement these ASAP and post an update. I was thinking adding some decals 
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kibbles26 said:
    SZIADA thankyou! Some great ideas! I will implement these ASAP and post an update. I was thinking adding some decals 
    All good man, can't wait to see it :)
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada said:
    Kibbles26 said:
    All good man, can't wait to see it :)
    I made a few changes, changed a few textures around and switched up the lighting a little. Still need to make a steam particle system, and make a LUT for the post processor.

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

you want it light more like this, with it getting brighter as it comes in, also kind like the white light in the middle nice, but with the yellow light, keep the first one dimmer than the second, and make the door the brightest. you can probably achieve this with and material instance, fairly as easy to do, if you just do a quick search on youtube. :)

these supports should be in different locations, and the pipes have a lot of grunge, depends on what you are going for. I tend to do subtle details, makes it easier for reuse, but I recommend toning that back a bit.  Your supports man,  repetition is still there, the issue with repetition is that nothing gets your attention and your eyes get overloaded. You did good with the door,  right now that's the most important thing it this scene. but with your other elements, we need to break that up. you want the viewer's eyes to bounce around the scene to soak up the entire image. so if you change the location of those supports it will look more interesting. Also look at dust or steam particle effects to give this more atmosphere, really bring it to life.

But most importantly
    Have Fun. :)

• Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback so far! I'm on it haha I agree with your ideas. Just to make sure on something, your talking about the dividing supports in the middle that need to be changed a little? how would you suggest they look?
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 more day to work on this before it has to go on my portfolio, changed the lighting, added dust particle system (WIP), changed the pips (needs more roughness). Still need to break up the dividers and add a steam effect.
    Anything else that can be done to make it looks realistic and awesome. Maybe some decals on the windows to break them up a little??

• ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe adding some dent and slight damage to the triangular "fin " bits, they tend to really draw the eyes outside the picture, that is a thing you really don't want.
    Other than that, you could try to  move the support a little closer to the camera, or the reverse, especially the one on the back is really unfocused and just add another repetition without really contributing to the scene.

Just my tougths :smile:
     Good work and have fun.

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you mean one more day till it has to go into your portfolio?
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    I would try to eliminate that moire effect on the far walkways.

Other suggestions:
    Blue: Add a bevel to the window edges, the harsh transition to light grey to black is odd.

Green: Add more geo to the ends of all the fins, they look low res or have bad geo causing a bad profile silhouette.

Orange: Consider adding some text on a few of the fins, maybe add that B 12 or a word of caution or an indicator of the purpose of this particular fin

I would also suggest doing something to break up the even-ness of everything. All one material makes sense but perhaps a painted metal or a different type of metal or additional light sources or maybe more props would add an artistic flare.

• Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada said:
    what do you mean one more day till it has to go into your portfolio?
    A few reasons, I have spent quite a bit of time on this and wanted to try an keep this project in a realistic time frame, secondly the closing date for a internship i am interested in is very soon haha

Thankyou 3DReaper ! I like the suggestions and shall implement them tonight and post an update :)

Ninetitle i agree about those dividers, i shall get the end one moved up alittle, but with the fins (i call them space radiators hahahha) adding dents in them would be interesting, i shall add a few dents in geometry or even on the normals!

At least the lighting is all complete! Thanks for all your help guys, I will update you guys later 
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, made a few changes, but not had time to make them all just yet. Beveled the window edges, tried to make the fins look like it has better geometry, and got rid of the moire effect on the floor with a normal map (now the roughness is off and needs tweaking) Still contemplating the caution sign on the radiators, I did create a decal for it, but thinking just a warning strip along the top rim of a few of them would look better. The lighting has not been changed in anyway

• brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    I think it looks kind of abstract and repetitive, but that may be just my opinion, because i like scifi corridors that look "busy" and "functional"; full of detail on top of your usual ~45 degree scifi angles. Alien is a prime example, and if you want some inspiration play the newest alien game, it's full of designs that are inspired by the original movie, it's really a marvel scifi of design.
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so i have changed the scene a bit. Still have a lot more too do.

Red: I have taken out the windows on this side and replaced them with piping, feed back on this would be great. was thinking of putting some grated panels over the top of a few of them.

Blue: Extended the walkway and added grating on one side as sort of water grate. 

so far the scene is looking a little less repetitive. More feedback is most welcome.

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, keep going you are doing good, you should make 3 different pipe variations with supports in different spots, will work to stop the tiling  for that wall, but you are doing awesome so far man :)
  • Kibbles26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few more additions, added in a handrail (not sure about this) added panels over a few of the pips on the side wall. What do you guys think? maybe some wires draping from the ceiling would break it up a bit more. Also adding a fire alarm to the side of the divider.

Look forward to any feedback you guys can give me