Home Technical Talk

PBR, IBL, (very?) Technical Question. Sphere vs Cube.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
So Torque 3d MIT is aiming for full PBR implementation soon.  I'm on one of the test branches currently supporting it.  It will be using the metallic/roughness workflow.

Anyhow, with the reflection map system that is being used relies on Torque's old system of giving the engine 6 different maps that it will combine into 1 cube map vs giving it a complete cubemap or use a panorama/spherical system. From what I understand, for higher roughness values, the reflection is just shown at a lower bit mipmap setting. 

The issue is at very low roughness I can start to see the seams of the cubemap in the reflection.  I was using 512 for every side, but we had to crank it up to 2048 for each side so the mipmap was at a high enough resolution still to not show the seams.  I think what is happening is that since the engine put each side together separately versus as a whole as with a spherical or standard combined cubemap is that at the edges of each seam its acting like having no padding with UVs.  As in the lower resolutions are only blending that edge to itself versus across to the other sides.

Does this sound correct?  What is the most common Environmental Reflection Shape and format used for PBR?

Replies