Home Technical Talk

Need tutorials for Maya furniture modeling with nCloth

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
Hello to all! 
Anybody knows decent tutorials of modeling furniture with Maya nCloth? Pillows on chairs, sofa, beds.
Cloth is falling on the table that's not what I'm looking for.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could never find much either. Pillows are easy enough, start with a cube, play the inflation to get the rough shape. Then set this as the new Initial shape, or kill the sim entirely to bevel up some of the edges to help seams, piping, buttons, or increase the geometry to get finer wrinkles. Then run the sim again.

This one looks a little abstract but demonstrates how to work in patches/pins/constraints: http://www.christopherwhitelaw.us/?p=1184

For this chair, I'd probably try using a half cylinder for the backrest, and half sphere for the seat, You need the extra volume to create the wrinkles. I'm not sure if sheets or closed meshes would be better for this case; if it was closed you could toy with inflation, or different local winds if it was open. The hard portions of the chair should be modeled on the inside and set as colliders to help force the form. From there it's a matter of pinning all the outside seams to the chair. It's also helpful to animate pins to ease things into shape without exploding the whole form. You can either keyframe the strength values, or assign the pins to locators, I'd probably do that for the inner crease of the seat.
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Неу THROTTLEKITTY
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I will start from introducing to nCloth and then will try to experiment with your suggestions. 
    But still any specific tips will be very appreciated.