Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel ctique?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
skycity02 polycounter lvl 7
Hi, guys.

This is my first post. 
I have spent 6 months working on this,  my first demo-reel. I am looking the opportunity to be an entry level game artist. I will start looking for jobs in August 2016. Please give me some advises about everything. Thank you all!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates Aug 9 2016

A little about myself. I had been working as a production artist job for last six years, and was laid off due to job outsourcing at end of September, 2015.  Since creating digital art (3D art especially) is always my dream job, I didn't look for another graphic design job.  I had some money saved when I was working, so I lived on my saving since then. I spent all the time and effect to learn 3D modeling for game in my own  and created the demo reel and portfolio I have now.

I am starting to look for job while I keep improving the skill. Next step, I will further study anatomy. Then do some environment works. Please, give me some advise on my current works and what I am missing. 

I have updated the demo reel. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxaN8niKNDE 
I also create a online portfolio for game modeling. 
http://skycity02.com/gaming

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Do you have a portfolio?

Most art leads/HR want to look at a website rather than a video, saves them time.

I take it you want to be a character artist? That has a tough barrier of entry, your work needs to be superb. Hopefully a character artist will comment.

Overall your work is good, your worst is the militia guy and best is your robot. Character art is not my forte; however, I think you need to add a greater breadth of realism to your characters/work. Add realistic detail via wear and tear, more attention to spice the piece up.

Keep at it.
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper said:
    Do you have a portfolio?

Most art leads/HR want to look at a website rather than a video, saves them time.

I take it you want to be a character artist? That has a tough barrier of entry, your work needs to be superb. Hopefully a character artist will comment.

Overall your work is good, your worst is the militia guy and best is your robot. Character art is not my forte; however, I think you need to add a greater breadth of realism to your characters/work. Add realistic detail via wear and tear, more attention to spice the piece up.

Keep at it.
    Hi, 3d Reaper. Thanks for your comment. I do have a portfolio website, but I haven't yet to upload my works. I will make sure it is ready when I seek for jobs. 
    Although there are too many characters in my reel, I am willing to do all kind of 3d work such as props or environment. Your word does bring up my main concern that I have no environment or properties to show in my reel. I will start working on environment models in my next step.  Also I will keep improving the textures and keep the demo-reel updated. 

Thanks again for your advise!
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    A couple areas to work on would be your materials, they look great on some areas but boring/not quite realistic on others. The gun's shiny metal part looks fake compared to the lower part (also make sure to cap off the inside of the barrel, you can see right through the gun in the turnaround). Your military man has some off proportions for his upper body and his arms are a bit too long. Its always worth it to show the poly count, and the flat UV textures on your work. keep at it though, you've got a pretty decent portfolio, just needs some polish.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The slide of your pistol looks way to shiny.
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic said:
    A couple areas to work on would be your materials, they look great on some areas but boring/not quite realistic on others. The gun's shiny metal part looks fake compared to the lower part (also make sure to cap off the inside of the barrel, you can see right through the gun in the turnaround). Your military man has some off proportions for his upper body and his arms are a bit too long. Its always worth it to show the poly count, and the flat UV textures on your work. keep at it though, you've got a pretty decent portfolio, just needs some polish. 

Hi Tectonic, thank you very for advise. :)
    The gun is textured as exactly as the stock photo comes out google, so honestly I am not really sure about it.  I will put a black polygon inside the barrel, you are right. The military guy I will take it off from the reel to rework on it. I will put polycount and maps in next demo reel update. 
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    The slide of your pistol looks way to shiny.
    Hi, Zi0. Thanks for your feedback. I will do some adjustment on it. 
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, guys, just updated my post........
  • skycity02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message