polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
UPDATE: Done with this! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsnTfWh5N8

More on my ArtStation @ https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YbLwK

------------------------------

Hey all,

I've been working on this large server room environment for a while - probably should have showed it much earlier but I'm finally getting around to it now. Somewhat nervous about sharing this one! Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time to implement much feedback in terms of adding new textures or meshes, but please go wild with giving constructive crit as I'm always eager to improve as an artist. 

The environment is based off of some original concept art is by Aaron Foster (Razorb) - fantastic artist and the concept art of his I've seen is awesome. Shoutout to Neil Gowland as well who created the same server room concept in the past, as his version of the scene was helpful for me to understand good ways to put the scene together.

I've tried to go with something that has a bit of my own take to it whilst still remaining faithful to the original work, but I'm very open to changes that I can reasonably implement!

Concept Art:

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the images since I forgot my post processing tweaks in the first ones. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with this one now - updated main post. :) 
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Turned out pretty good and though you didn't quite capture the volumetric fog lighting, i actually like yours better than the concept.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    yeah i was going to say the same about the volumetric fog, your also missing some visual grain to the scene, but i suppose that would be hard to emulate. I watched the whole video and liked it a lot. Found myself thinking what game play would be like. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    yeah i was going to say the same about the volumetric fog, your also missing some visual grain to the scene, but i suppose that would be hard to emulate. I watched the whole video and liked it a lot. Found myself thinking what game play would be like. 
    kohg said:
    Turned out pretty good and though you didn't quite capture the volumetric fog lighting, i actually like yours better than the concept.
    Thanks for the comments both. :)

I had some real trouble with the fog effects, as I'm not particular experienced with particles or fog in general. The way I attempted to resolve it was to have a single large particle effect which plays throughout that main room, and sometimes catches on the light.

There used to be fog Volumes in UE3 which but they don't seem to be a thing anymore?  I then have a subtle light shaft Static mesh with an animated texture on it. They were both more pronounced originally but I was just worried about cranking them up too powerfully in case it was overkill

It's the same with the Grain - there is grain applied to the scene within the post processing and it was originally cranked a lot higher, but I was worried that I might be going overkill with it