Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swamp of Sorrow

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AllyAlbon interpolator
So, even though I have about 4,8021 other projects to finish (ok, about 4), I have started another one.

I found a concept piece by Sebastian Gromann, whose work just blows me away, and just had to give it a shot. It is a really good excuse to try out a couple of new techniques so I am making this a "three week" project in an attempt to speed up workflow. First up, a very base tree to get things moving.

Replies

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Cool concept, I'm really looking forward to watching this progress!

Are you going to be including the, uh, is it a battle scene happening in the background? Also, what are your thoughts about that building/outpost? It looks like it would be quite detailed and involved, but from the angle of the concept it is quite overlooked. Are you intending to make this as an actual "full" environment, or are you just wanting to match the concept picture?

I'm 50/50 on the tree - it's awesome, in and of itself, but I don't think it matches the concept. (At least not yet.) It has the soggy, rotten look of a swamp, but it's so rounded that it actually reminds me of coral more than a rotten log. I personally think it's a bit too stubby, and needs some longer, spindly twigs/branches, and some sharp bits at some of the ends instead of being so round. Since it's just a base model, though, my qualms will probably worked out as more is done with it :smiley:
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Krislw - Thanks for the comment!  I am not going to include the battlescene, although I am debating replacing the creature with something, probably a horse.  As for the building, I am 50/50 as to whether I am going to make something detailed or attempt to cheat it with a simpler model, or perhaps just one side facing the camera.  

Your thoughts on the tree are similar to mine - I think I will keep the tree as a filler, but I am also going to model another couple to match the concept closer.  The plan is to add further branches etc using planes.

I am planning on following the concept fairly closely, with some artistic changes - in particular, the image is screaming "swamp of sorrow" from Neverending story, so I have a suspicion there will be some further trees to break the scene up, and the creature will be replaced with Artax the horse, because I still haven't recovered from that scar on my childhood.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I am rather enjoying making realistic textures this time around. I still need to make a big puddle, and I am not 100% happy with the grass, but it's time to move on to the trees again.  

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I'm really enjoying working on a more realistic scene! (tree and grass are unfinished at this stage) 

• KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good! Do you currently have two different colored grasses, or is it all the same? The "front" grass seems oversaturated in comparison to the grass by the tree, but otherwise, you've got the terrain and muddiness of it coming along very nicely!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hi @KrisLW - it's one colour of grass, but it was behaving very oddly - was a problem with the alpha.  Ended up scrapping it anyway for a more realistic version.  Still having a few issues, but getting closer!

Working away at the background. Had a rubbish couple of days for actual production, but I picked up a few new zbrush skills, so it counts. Low poly boat has normals, no texture yet.  Probably spending too much time on the detail but enjoying the process.  Hoping to have the project wrapped up by the weekend.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Worked further on the trees and the landscape today - Didn't help that Unreal was crashing every time I built, causing undue panic and stress.  Turns out there was something untowards with the grass foliage, and a simple delete and replace fixed that right up.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Fiddled with the lighting a bit, but think it's gone too warm. Liked the atmosphere though!

• Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    Ooo. I love spoopy stuff :3 Gogogo!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks, @Caiterade

Should have the scene finished up tomorrow.  Adding in a focal point in the form of a horse - currently very, very WIP (base model not made by me).  This image made me laugh though! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finished!  I am not in love with the final scene, still need a lot of practice with realistic styles, but overall am pretty happy.  The horse didn't really work in the scene so he only made it into one image.  I am pretty happy with the tiling textures, learned a lot for the next project. 

• KurtR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    I like it. One thing I do notice right of the bat, is how the boat(s) is taking up a lot of the focus. If that was your intention then everything is well and good, but if you wanted to focus more on the nature I would maybe considered scaling them down some or something less noticeable. Anyhow, good work.
  • Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Those little rocks, how did you create them.