Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Isometric Souls-like Spellcasting-Diablo-esque Game [IMG/GIF HEAVY]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakob Gavelli interpolator

Heya!
I've been working on this little thing on and off in my spare time! =)

The idea is basically to try making a isometric game like Path of Exile or Diablo, but focusing on the vertical movement, and the exploration that comes with it, found in the souls series. As most isometric games seems to be tied to navigational meshes and don't support vertical movement etc. 

The focus is making it as system based as possible to minimize workload and being content driven. The spell system is the key feature, where the player slowly molds the two spells you choose at the start of the game into different tools. Where we expose as many variables and parameters to the player as possible, for them to play with.

So aswell as more standard parameters such as increasing spell damage by a %. We have stats that increase the amount of projectiles the spell casts, or number of ricochets. Aswell as % increases/decreases to speed, duration and so on and so forth. 
Perhaps the player wants to stack speed decreases, which makes your projectiles move slower but doing more damage, effectively turning your fireball spell into stationary fireball mine! =)

Exciting times ahead of us, super fun to have a project on the side doing some scripting i Blueprint and animation and stuff, very different from what I do at work! 

Here are some super dark and low-quality gifs!

Atmosphere Mockup sort of thing :

Some spellcasting :

We can go deeper (Ricochet, Fork, Pierce) :

P.S. If anyone knows how to resize gifs and images would be awesome to know how ^^ 

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Looks really nice, the atmosphere of the first gif is awesome and I feel like the long camera distance adds a lot to the feeling of scale. Hope you guys keep it up!
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I really like the dramatic lighting!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm absolutely loving the look of this.
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connecta polycounter lvl 7
    Ah it looks great! I've been super curious about what you guys where working on:)
    Reminds me of 'Below'. Will you go for Melee-combat as well or is it all 'bout them spells?

• Lissner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like an old game from my childhood called Nox
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, you keep throwing these cool things Jakob! Looking forward to updates on this project :)

Just seeing all that magic casting and the potential what this project could turn into makes my FXfingers twitch
  • Oskar Selin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oskar Selin polycounter lvl 3
    Really cool stuff! Thanks for sharing! :smiley:
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Like it! Keep it up!))
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool :). You can open gifs in photoshop and change the image size like a normal image, then use 'File', 'save for web' to save out the gif. You can also choose compression settings and whether it loops or not in the 'Save for web' panel.

P.s. Save for web has been moved in CC to 'File', 'Export', 'Save for Web (Legacy)'
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    This looks fantastic man!
  • mon246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    Wow this looks beautiful.

I had this weird illusion mindfuck moment where I realised the guy in the first gif was walking over a bridge over a chasm. I thought he was walking down a narrow hallway and that the negative spaces on either side were walls. Here's a pic to show what I thought I saw. Just a funny moment I thought I'd share.

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AtticusMars, OccultMonk, Joopson : Thanks alot, guys =)
    @Connecta : Thanks, man! Yeah, Below was pretty much what sparked the idea for the art style for, I'm thinking about steering away from it as it's a bit silly how similar it'll look when I add more assets and detail, I think. Strictly Spells is the idea! But the system will hopefully be so flexible that there's spells that you can mold into melee-spells and have that playstyle, if you so desire!
    @Lissner : Never heard of Nox before, I checked it out and it looks great, haha
    @Christian Nordgren : Thanks, dude! I can't wait until I can start focusing more on the VFX and art side of things, got to nail them mechanics first ^^
    @Oskar Selin : Thanks, dude! You guys' game looks awesome aswell!
    @IlyaIvanovArt, Azzamat : Thanks! Works wonders :)
    @kernersvillan, mon246 : Thanks guys, funny illusion ^^ I wonder how to do more interiory stuff with such a zoomed out camera.. hmm.:smile:

I tried to make local co-op work. Pretty easy in Unreal actually! Don't know if it'll be a priority but we'll have it in mind when developing the systems for sure. =) ( Trying to use 2 controllers at the same time proved to be too difficult for me xD haha )

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got some more time to work on this. Trying to get the procedural generation to work for the levels. 
    And I'm trying to finish up a bunch of spells. ^^ 

Fireball!

Meteor Shower

Fireball with +24 projectiles and Ricochet modifiers :D

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    oo that's awesome :)
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    ricochet fireball, haha awesome!!
    Love the art style a lot. Keep up the good work!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garcellano : Thanks man!
    @Cremuss : Thanks! It's alot of fun xD The compression on the gifs are pretty bad, to keep a low size. 

Here's some screenshots of my latest developments in terms of style etc =)

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    really nice! love the dof
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    really niceeee
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Woah, this looks pretty sick.  Gonna follow this one :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Love seeing the progress, looks super fun Jakob!
  • Bluestemos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    The ricochet explosions look badass! Looks like a fun project, will be keeping an eye on this :smile:
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Love this can't wait to see more :) 
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    This is rad! Great stuff dude, I wanna play :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'm means alot coming from you guys ^^

I'm currently making a pass on the AI and how the enemies work atm. Got hit by a really annoying bug in UE4 where child blueprints reset variables and components randomly. So most of my classes derived from the base Enemy class totally broke down :(  So I'll have to wait for a fix, sad times.

What's really fun about making a system based game is that I can play it like a high-skilled player would. Because of generated levels and drops etc. So it's really fun to develop it. ^^ Instead of polishing a traditional level, that you get sick of after testing a couple of times =) 

I'm trying to keep it as a hobby project, but I can't ignore the urge to turn it into something I can release into the world at some point. So if anyone has any experience with that kind of thing I'd be super greatful! :)

Sorry if I bored you with too much text! Here you have a random picture as a reward for sticking through it!

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since last month I've been spending alot of time, and hairs on my head, making the game ONLINE MULTIPLAYER :proud:
    It doesn't work flawlessly, but I've been able to play my infinite game-loop together with as many players as the server (My Computer) can handle :D 
    Super proud, and a big milestone in the project for sure. I had to rewrite and rethink a huge amount of the work I had previously done, but it's totally worth it.

I'm glad that I set it up this early in the project rather than later. That would've been a even more massive headache! I'm a bit worried that from now on scripting and QA will take more time and progress will be a bit slower when actually implementing features. But I'm in no hurry and the game will be more fun. =) 

Sorry for just only typing stuff, I just wanted to let you know etc, I'll hopefully be back with more juicy art soon! 
    Thanks for bearing with me!
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! How's it been going? Do you have any more of them juicy gifs to show us?!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ITS ALIVE!!!! It's kind of shitty and kind of rushed, just wanted to quickly show SOMETHING because I don't want this to die!

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey folks! I'm actually getting kind of stuck on the art side of the game. I dunno if the low-poly smooth gradient look is interesting enough.
    Like, if you'd payed 4.99-9.99 dollars for a game like this would you be happy with the graphical fidelity? :s  
    I dunno, just getting a bit doubtful. 

I'd love if anyone had some ideas or comment on how you PERSONALLY would approach it!
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    I'm working on a top down RPG myself, I'm the only artist, but I went for a drastically different approach such as this:

I would think if you want to keep the geo-simpliscitic style (which seems the folks that have responded really enjoy)  then adding additional and interesting lighting to your scene to highlight your geo would work very well and make things more interesting.
    You seem to have a really great grasp on FX so even adding in some of these in areas to highlight features would go a very long way.

Such as the GIF you posted with the light coming through skull entrance with the 4 braziers is far more visually appealing imho.

I had a scene I did in NWO way back when and mostly all of the assets were the same color, tone, hue, which got confusing to the eye, after dressing up with some other stuff such as wooden beams and adding in light sources such glowing mushrooms, illuminated crystals and minerals, skylights with light rays coming down from possible collapses in the cave roof with hanging foliage etc. the levels improved 100%.

Just my suggestion. Keep with it though it's definitely improving as you continue to work on it.

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Apocrs1980
    Yeah, man, doing everything alone is rough haha. You bring up some good points, I think strong focus on vfx and lighting is good. In combat the game gets noisy and intense anyways, so the backgrounds being simple and readable is a good thing. How fun it looks in screenshots I dunno though, maybe I got to upload more combat screenshots ^^
    Thanks!
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    @Jakob Gavelli
    indeed I agree it's totally a pain in the but going solo, but then again, you're your own boss ;)
    The combat looks really interesting and above all else if the game play is superb and really fun, graphics will come secondary.

Keep it up dude, I think you'll have a winner on your hands :)

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks awesome so far and I prefer it untextured...don't know what your final plans are but I like the basic low/poly look of this.

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

MY PROJECTS NEVER DIE! lol
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been waiting ~4 years for this game! Keep at it:D