Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Concept Art skill progression 1

null
Offline / Send Message
SamWong null
I've been a 3D Artist, but this year,  I aim to be a concept artist as well

At the moment I am developing concepts for 2 separate projects. One inspired by Mauritius, the other by Nordic fantasy. All artworks are still WIP

Mauritius inspired concept:

Nordic inspired concept:

I'm particular more invested into the last one. Will probably finish this one first. 

I'm new to painting environment and would like to get some pointers. Thanks for viewing

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    SamWong said:
    I'm new to painting environment and would like to get some pointers. Thanks for viewing
    I think this is a valid style for enviro concept art.  I see that you have atmospheric perspective going on.

A pointer from me would be to check your color saturation.  You have atmospheric perspective but color saturation, particularly for your foliage, looks the same as it recedes (heading to the background).  I think, foreground should be more saturated than background...unless you intend to show marijuana plants...they're pretty saturated compared to other plants even when seen from a distance (that's why they're easy to spot from a helicopter).

2nd pointer, mountains look too stylize...in other words, non-realistic based.  If you're okay with that, sure.  But if you're targeting say Uncharted game franchise, it won't make sense lookwise as it's more cartoony than realistic.

Finally, when I enlarged the images, my eyes go first to the spiky mountains.  If you intend the "first read" or focus to go first on structures you should re-think your compositions or if not, make the contrast stronger for the principle elements than the backgrounds.  

Like, for the third image - with the hut, my eyes look at the middle tall spiky mountain first before the hut which I'd assume is more important than the spiky mountain.  How to make the hut more prominent?  I'd lessen the details and contrast of the background.  De-emphasize it.  Alternatively, do a better job with "eye-flow" in your compositions.  You have a river in the same third image heading back towards out of frame.  I think if the tall spiky mountain was at the end of that river,  it will make the composition a bit better because it would "drive" the viewer eyes from left to right, towards the hut.

Keep it up!  Thanks for sharing.

• SamWong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamWong null
    Thanks for taking the time to critique! 

Will definitely take some time to make some changes!