polycounter
Offline / Send Message
RogerP polycounter

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Why can't the people who name games count in order?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks like a refreshing change of pace from pew pew lazer beams.
  • dosit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dosit vertex
    If the graphics are similar to this at launch this is going to look amazing!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good, I just pray to God it plays more like battlefield 1942 than freaking battlefront
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah not crazy about the name. Otherwise, i really like the setting.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wahey taking things back to the start! I really enjoy ww1 games because of how stripped back and raw the combat is, no crazy machine guns unloading 30 shots in someones face and they just run off with half health, hopefully just a few shots with a slow loading rifle and they are down for sure :) and those old planes are way more fun to fly than jets cause they go slow enough that you can have a proper dogfight!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I have fond memories of Codename Eagle, so hopefully this is right up there. 
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool seeing the WW1 setting! Props to Dice for going against the modern/sci-fi shooter.

Next up Battlefield: Pike and Shot? :D
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    It's sweet that they've gone for WW1. They could have played it safe with a WW2 game, but this is much more bold and unexplored as a historical setting. Plus you get biplanes and warhammer tanks. Trailer looks great.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Shinigami said:
    whats with the horses tho? I was thinking about the ottoman empire?
    arab revolt, possibly lawrence of arabia?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Shinigami said:
     Arab revolt I think so. But would like to see Gallipoli campaign though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Definitely one of the most interesting periods of time to do a war game. And it's not a very commonly used one for games. Battlefield and FPS are best when they are allowed to be a bit silly, and it looks like that's going to happen. 
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Shinigami said:
    One of the Deluxe Edition pre-order bonuses is the Lawrence of Arabia pack: "See another side of the war with the Lawrence of Arabia Pack. Grab items and weapons based on the adventures of famous archeologist and diplomat T.E. Lawrence, who played a pivotal role in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire."

Pretty good trailer analysis I thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l20il6AHlWo

• VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I've heard that this is set in an alternative WW1 universe. Has anyone else heard that? Probably makes sense due the fact that you can make the tanks move a bit faster than they did in the real world. Most traveled at a walking pace or slower and certainly not jumping over trenches and small hills.

I've also heard that first DLC will be free and if you pay for it, you just get earlier access. Does anyone know if they plan on extending this plan to the other DLC's? Personally, I like the idea if you can have some patience you can get the DLC for free.

It should be interesting to see how they treat all of the interesting tech that came of age in during this war, like the experiments in body armor. Gas and massed artillery will be also interesting to see how that is handled and balanced.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Yeah, that tank is hauling ass. You could walk faster than those old beasts. They were really only used to walk behind to keep from getting plowed down by machine-gun fire, and they were handy for rolling over trenches. I'm guessing with the zepplin, and that character they have with the cape, its some sort of alt history setting. Looks like a lot of fun regardless. Honestly, a realistic ww1 shooter would probably be pretty dull. You'd get to spawn in, jump over the trench line and then get shot. Respawn and die a few more hundred times. Maybe you finally get across no-mans-land and jump in the enemy trench only to get shot again.... then again that might actually be a blast.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Pretty sure they confirmed it's not alt-history. But obviously it's not a simulator either. It's a Battlefield game.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    It's a Battlefield game.
    Ha fair enough :)
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Shinigami said:
    In WWI there were many countries that had not modernized to tanks. in fact the idea of mounting a machine gun to an automobile was a brand new concept only a few years before. There were a lot of Calvary that were slaughtered in WWI due to advances in technology and strategies.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    What a well cut trailer! Loved it from start to finish. Sure none of its gameplay and its all just pretty cinematics but even those are gorgeous! Gave a great sense of what the game is going to have in it and I really like the Seven Nation Army song edit in there.

Excited to see some gameplay I'm guessing at E3.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Hopefully they include the mines at the battle of Messines. Naval warfare could prove to be a massively fun experience as well. It will be interesting to see if they include future WW2 names like Patton and that guy with the tiny mustache.

• chrisanth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty hyped ;) looks better than the new COD
  • Greg DAlessandro
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The trailer looks amazing, which is not surprising, because DICE/EA always make amazing trailers. From experience, I'd say only 10% of that trailer is actually gameplay, but it still is visually impressive. 

I'm just find it very difficult to get excited about a DICE game anymore. I really enjoyed BF3, but even as time passed, they managed to take it down hill. Then BF4 was a mess, and Battlefront, which had so much potential, was a huge disappointment. I feel like DICE has forgotten how to make a game fun, and only know how to make it beautiful. I'm sure there will eventually be a beta, and if I see the same issues, that I've seen on anything else built on the frostbite engine, then I'll pass on this. I'm done getting burned by DICE/EA.

I'm grouping Hardline into this, because it was another disaster built on frostbite... and suffered from the same bugs, and netcode issues.

On the positive, I'm excited about WWI, because it will hopefully limit the weapon selections. DICE has been trying to include too many weapons, in previous games, making it a constant struggle to balance. I'd really like to see weapons taken out of DLCs too. 
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    it sort of has to be alt history or there will be No game, just sitting around in a trench for months at a time, that is why I think they can never faithfully do a WW1 FPS, it was a total war of attrition in the trenches with short outbursts of machinegun fire,failed charges and consistent endless artillery pummeling.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    The game looks amazing.

I hope Winston Churchill is in there as a soldier.

"The sole British cavalry regiment, the 21st Lancers, was armed with lance, sword and carbine. The officers also carried pistols. Winston Churchill bought a Mauser pistol before leaving Britain for the Sudan. In the charge Churchill chose to use his pistol rather than his sword." - britishbattles

still bad ass in his later years :)

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Who is ready for WW1 Trick shots and stunt videos?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    BBC visit to Dice :)

Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04f1ywp/the-gaming-show-battlefield-1-recreating-world-war-one 

The Gaming Show - Battlefield 1: Recreating World War One

How do you go about creating a blockbuster game that is set during The First World War, and make it sensitive to history? Julia Hardy investigates at DICE studios in Stockholm.