Home Technical Talk

Alpha maps not working in Marmoset/Sketchfab and I can't figure out why

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poopstick polycounter lvl 3
Ok so here's my plane with normals, albedo and the UV's next to it.

Here's the alpha map and below the settings I'm using.

I've messed around with alpha and threshold and all it does it either render the entire plane visible or it completely dissapears when it reaches the threshold, but the alpha map is doesn't do anything!

I know the alpha works because if I add it as an emission map it comes out correctly.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Maybe it needs to be in the alpha channel?
  • Farfarer
    In the channel drop down beside the image slot, pick something that's not A.

Currently it's looking for the value in the alpha channel of the image. You probably want R, assuming your image doesn't have an alpha channel...
  • EarthQuake
    A few things:

First off, the checkbox for "Use Albedo Alpha" is ticked, this means the shader is searching for the texture in the albedo map's alpha channel. Uncheck this. Also, if you haven't noticed, you can mouse over most features in Marmoset Toolbag 2, and it will give you a handy explanation of what that feature or setting does.

Secondly, as Farf says, by default the texture slots looks in the alpha channel for transparency maps, change this to R.

Thirdly, if you want a soft falloff to the alpha, change the transparency type from cutout to dither. This will look noisy in the viewport but when you render an image (capture menu) it will look better.
  • poopstick
    Offline / Send Message
    poopstick polycounter lvl 3
    A few things:

First off, the checkbox for "Use Albedo Alpha" is ticked, this means the shader is searching for the texture in the albedo map's alpha channel. Uncheck this. Also, if you haven't noticed, you can mouse over most features in Marmoset Toolbag 2, and it will give you a handy explanation of what that feature or setting does.

Secondly, as Farf says, by default the texture slots looks in the alpha channel for transparency maps, change this to R.

Thirdly, if you want a soft falloff to the alpha, change the transparency type from cutout to dither. This will look noisy in the viewport but when you render an image (capture menu) it will look better.
    Hey thanks, that's fixed it for me. The dither option does the correct mask, but even after rendering it's quite noisy for me, I'll have a mess around with it to see if I can get it looking better.
    Thanks again.