Home Technical Talk

Offsetting subtools to tile in zbrush isn't working properly

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
This might be a lot easier to understand if you could see the video tutorial I'm following, but it's a paid one so bare with my description alongside my texture screens.

I used Nanomesh to lay out my leaves, sticks, and rocks. Then I went in manually to adjust any inter-lapping.

So, onto the tiling portion. In said video series, he selects a portion of the outer subtool and deletes the middle like so

Duplicates this subtool 4 times, which is where the tiling occurs. Each copy will offset in one of four directions. Either in the +X, -X, +Y, -Y. In my case I'm using Z instead of Y based on my initial ground plane angle when I exported it from Max.

Next he adjusts the Deformation/Offset slider completely to one side twice. This is where the one difference is. When I adjust the slider, I do so just once before everything's off the plane. The ground plane size I imported into zbrush shouldn't matter though.

Offset by 50 and makes it seem like I won't have a problem

Basically, I'm stuck. I don't know why this is happening. There's no other way I can think of to tile this. Drop to canvas workflow would require me to relay more leaves and wreck the current layout. Offsetting in Photoshop won't work due to the precision required from the leaves. I used Allegorithmic's BitMap2Material, but that didn't give me the best results.