Home Technical Talk

My Normal Map's look terrible -.-

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Tobi_dono polycounter lvl 4
Hey there, I don't know what to do anymore all my normals look terrible none regarding what I do
or what I use (Maya;TURTLE,XNormal) and so I whant to ask if someone knows how I can let them look better or something like this
Well sometimes it looks better as this ^^, maybe I should do every part extern?

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Check to make sure your cage is encompassing both the high and low.
    Make sure your low poly and high poly share the exact same space as possible.
    If you aren't using a cage(you should be using a cage), then make sure your raydistance is at a distance that catches the high poly details.
    Reset the transforms on both your high poly and low poly.
    Rebake.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Yeah this looks very typical of what you would see when your cage is too close to your high poly
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobi_dono polycounter lvl 4
    well I'm using a cage but some of the cage's are quite near the HP/LP and some like the cable are a little bit more far away, at some point now I think some geometric froms are too wierd ...

too close? I was thought that it should be as close as posible
  • Panzerdraco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    You can generally get away with a bit of a buffer between the cage and the geo. The closer it gets the higher accuracy you'll get, but beyond a certain point the quality improvement is next to invisible, so it's not worth it to agonize over getting it laser-close.