Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Savage Pig Handpainted Workthread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
juaninside polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since im part of this great community! However, i never decided to post some of my work... 
Although im a programmer and i have 0 skill on  drawing ilustrations and concepts i always loved 3D Art and i tried to do some characters and environment for my personal projects. 

Today i will share my Workflow of creating a character, this character is a Savage Pig  handpainted.
My process is something like this:

1- I start sculpting a rough base on Blender.
2- I polish the sculpt as much as i can and then i do the retopology and unwraping.

3- I bake AO for have a base to start with, and then just multiply my base color and add highlights.

The whole process was covered with Blender and my next steps are rig + animation and then export it to Unity for my Turn-based Roleplaying Project!!.

I will be posting more work as soon as im done since i dont have too much time due to work >:<.

I really appreciate if you can tell me where can i improve and how since im just starting.. Thank you guys you are awesome.

My best regards, Juan.

PD: Sry for my bad english! im learning as well =P

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

- The eyes are super bright right now. 

-You should do a vertical gradient bake.

-The fur on the body could use a bit more variation/detail.

- There should be a gradient for each tusk

- There should be a gradient for the bones(tusks?) on this armband.

- You might want to adjust either the fur color or the clothes color, since there is a lot of reddish browns overall.

- There should be more contrast on the shield. (especially on that gem-like structure in the middle) You should also add a specular texture or paint in highlights/shadows.

- The mace is confusing. (what material is the spikes?, what material is the club itself?) You should make a vertical gradient bake for the weapon as well. Have the mace temporarily standing on the pommel and then bake the lighting information on it, then you can move it back in his hand) 

-The hooves are also very blurry. The character could use a bit more contrast overall as well. But your model looks good though.

• juaninside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- The eyes are super bright right now. 

-You should do a vertical gradient bake.

-The fur on the body could use a bit more variation/detail.

- There should be a gradient for each tusk

- There should be a gradient for the bones(tusks?) on this armband.

- You might want to adjust either the fur color or the clothes color, since there is a lot of reddish browns overall.

- There should be more contrast on the shield. (especially on that gem-like structure in the middle) You should also add a specular texture or paint in highlights/shadows.

- The mace is confusing. (what material is the spikes?, what material is the club itself?) You should make a vertical gradient bake for the weapon as well. Have the mace temporarily standing on the pommel and then bake the lighting information on it, then you can move it back in his hand) 

-The hooves are also very blurry. The character could use a bit more contrast overall as well. But your model looks good though.

Really thanks for the comment!  I already started to bake Gradient bakes on the Tusks and they definetly looks really really better!! Tomorrow i will follow each step and will try to improve it, by the way the mace is all Bone( the club+spikes are bones because i dont find a good material for the club).
    The second step (You should do a vertical gradient bake.), you mean in general? on the whole model? a Top Down White - black gradient? Can you specify a little bit? 

Thank you for your answer really constructive! 

• Greg DAlessandro
  • juaninside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you, i will try it right now!
  • juaninside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I tried to do the gradient map but i don't know if i am doing something wrong or what.. but the results are not good enough... 
    But i found a pdf of dota 2 workflow, and they do a bake with points lights for add volume with really nice results, i tried myself and i think it looks a bit better, i still need to fix the hooves and the shield by the way. 

I added the normal map if you want to check it without the shadeless.!
  • juaninside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model
    Somehow i can't paste the sketchfab on my last post...