Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

low poly castle critique

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
le0tard polycounter lvl 9
A low poly castle!
What I already know: Tiling error on the middle tower, and inconsistent size of the bricks. Both these are because I was reluctant to giving the stone wall more space on the texture sheet.
What else can your elven eyes see?

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

It needs more contrast in values.  It could use a bit more saturation. I'd suggest using vertical gradient baking as well. Other that it's looking good so far. The only thing that bugs me is not seeing how the chain is connected to the drawbridge and to the wall. (You could possibly paint a plate or something where the chain meets)

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I am not a hand painting-guy, but maybe something like this?

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    agree with both comments above, adding a small gradient adds so much to the textures, and more contrast for sure. I would also add a bit of color and lightness/darkness variance in the bricks

check out this texture as an example

• heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    I agree on pushing the contrast values, right now it's biggest problem is uniformity. The roof looks like it's almost floating because it's the only dark piece in the castle.

Here's a good reference:

See the difference in shadow/highlight contrast? It creates a lot of interesting areas for the eyes to explore but still maintains unity through the piece.

Real quick I just adjusted the levels and dropped a complimentary warm purple into the more shaded areas so you can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about...

Now it really depends on how muted you're trying to get the castle to look, but there's definitely a lot of room for adjustment.

Stormwind Keep in WoW is pretty tame on the saturation and even it has a lot of contrast:

Great start overall though. Keep pushing!