Home Technical Talk

PBR correct tail light texture?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys!
I'm trying to figure out how to create a PBR textures for tail light. Any ideas? Should i render to texture it somehow?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I don't see anything particularly difficult about doing this. If you'd like to model it realistically, create it like it actually is built - a plastic casing over a light bulb with reflective surfaces on the interior. 

This is a headlight assembly, but the idea is still there - model the plastic cover, and then model in the rest. You could use a tool like NDO (Shameless self-promotion, I know :wink: ) to create normals directly in Photoshop for the surface of the lights if you'd like to skip the high-poly stage. Create an opacity map for the plastic cover and you're good to go. You would of course need to try to get the albedo value correct for the light in its off state, but that shouldn't be difficult. Roughness/gloss/specular shouldn't be hard to do, either.

Here's an example of a light that I created entirely in NDO in a few minutes:

It's a headlight assembly, but really, there's not a lot of difference between the front and back lights besides general shape. They tend to have similar ridges and whatnot. If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask!
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jonathan! I am currently user of Quixel Suit 2.0, so I definitely will be using this. The main issue with technique that you mention is that normal map creates a ridges on the external side of the glass, but it should be flat. Its also affects only external light and reflections, so the interior reflector will not look refracted as far as I can tell? Target engine for now is Marmoset toolbag 2.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Could you show me an image of what you've done so far?
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you show me an image of what you've done so far?

Dont know how to setup settings for lens material so it looks terrible...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm definitely not an expert at using Marmoset or setting up materials for it, but it looks like you need more reflectivity - also, the surface of the plastic casing should be tinted dark red.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need refraction, which Toolbag2 doesn't support.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I ran into the refraction issue before. Maybe in the next TB update
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks, Gir!

Chase: Have you considered using Unreal 4 to preview this for now?
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for info guys, looks like I will be using different technique for this.