Home Adobe Substance

Basic SD template question - how do you actually apply them to a huge set of meshes?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
Hey, I'm very new to Substance Designer, so maybe it's covered in some tutorial I might have missed, but here is my case: I have a huge number of meshes, and for each, I want to produce some bakes, push those bakes through a graph, and save it's output.

The graph in question can be really simple - for example, I made a tiny graph that combines a curvature and occlusion map into a single RGBA image (two Color Image Input nodes, one Channel Shuffle node, one Output node). I found a video tutorial on saving projects as templates and adding new directories to the SD template preferences, so now it shows up in the template list.

What I can't understand is how do you use that template efficiently. The only process obvious to me so far is this:

• Open New Substance dialog
  • Choose your template, press OK in the dialog
  • Right click your Unsaved Package in the Explorer window
  • Choose Link - 3D Mesh, find a mesh in the file browser, hit OK
  • Navigate to the newly created Resources folder in the Explorer window
  • Select the mesh there, right click it, choose Bake Model Information
  • Configure the baking outputs (curvature and occlusion in my case), press OK
  • Navigate to the newly created Resources/Mesh_Resources folder in the Explorer window
  • Drag the baked images from there onto the Color Image nodes of your graph
  • Right click the graph in the Explorer window, choose Export outputs as bitmaps
  • Configure destination/naming/format, press Save All
  • Start again from Link - 3D Mesh to produce more images
That works, but when you have a set of 50 meshes, the Explorer window quickly turns cluttered with links and bakes. In the end, you don't actually end up with that much less clicks vs. just manually configuring per-mesh bakes in xNormal and compositing the final map in Photoshop.

Am I misunderstanding how templates are supposed to be used? Have I missed a faster way to get textures with a single graph and a big set of meshes?

Replies