Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PP-19 Bizon-2, Everyone needs a gun in their portfolio!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Spearmark polycounter lvl 7
Guns are probably the most done subject matter by a country mile but that's no bad thing with the AK and M16/M4 dominating the show from what I've seen. After resisting for ages that urge that just wouldn't go away for me, I had to  create a weapon. So here's my  exotic AK variant:

A bit out it:
I used nDo to bash in all the detail I could, first time I've given it a bit of use in my work flow. Substance Painter 2 for that PBR metalness workflow goodness. Big fan of Substance, been using it on and off for about a year now. Screenshots in Marmoset.

I tested out a fair bit a of new software when doing this, I used IPackThat , serious time saver, the amount of UV shells on this model made it look more akin to a lightmap. A unique unwrap had to be done to get as much detail in as possible.

I also used MightyBake , can't speak highly enough of this baking app as I found it really fast and clean. Highly recommend it.  

4k map; normal/albedo/rough/metal. Model is 24k verts with change, 16k on the gun, 8k on the Kobra sight. On the target engine we all know the vert count probably double (if not more) when all the uv shells splits are taken into account :D

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Cool work. I like the overall look but i think there are to many random scratches.
  • keket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keket polycounter lvl 2
    Amazing work on the model and renders. But i feel like, as @Gazu said, way too many random scratches and there's no in-between wear, it's either not damaged or missing large chunks of paint. Try being a bit more subtle with the metallic wear on the gun.

Also try changing the values slightly between the segments of metal to make it seem a bit less like one blob of steel, ie the dust cover, receiver and bolt should all be 3 different parts, probably made out of different metals.

Seriously good job on the model and bakes though man!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    And i tought : Everybody needs an M4/M15 in his Folio... ;)
  • Spearmark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearmark polycounter lvl 7
    Hey thanks for the comments, much appreciated :)

@GAZU I agree the scratches are OTT in places, especially on that fifth image, the IBL and direct lights are not favorable either to the roughness. Would loved to have found the time to paint in all the detail manually. M4 certainly the most popular, I've also notice making an AK look like an M4 is in fashion these days too. :D

@KEKET Stylistically it would certainly look more interesting with variation between all the parts. I made the call early on to stick to the materials as close as I could; the lower receiver, dust cover and front guard, stock ect are all made through the same metal pressing process then painted the same from what I understand. So in this instance the uniformity is accurate to what I've see in ref and similar to what I saw when I got my hands on a decent replica. You are right about the bolt and sight blocks, these almost certainly will be milled steel and the material should look slightly different. I got to see a real Kobra sight and this gave me a good indication of how the paint wear worked, it seemed to scuff lightly then completely chipped off in sizable chunks.

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir, why in gods name did you decide to use so little segments on the back of the dust cover?
    That's a part that is suposed to be round. The grip has more sides than that part..  Also, the gun looks the same all over.
    No real diferentiation in materials.