Home General Discussion

The Ugee 2150 A great Wacom alternative

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
So I finally got my 2150 thursday, I have been vocal about how I have felt let down by wacom here and there in the decline of both build quality and customer support,  and thought I would give a quick as I can breakdown incase anyone was considering an alternative as I find this to be highly viable.

When I received the Tablet it came well packaged, and you get a screen protector, near 2 of everything, 2 USBs for example which I would have prefered just having one longer one, but 2 pens was a welcome addition.

(I am beginning to have too many screens, is that possible? lol)
Starting off with the negatives:

Screen Protector was impossible to apply and went in the garbage, The screen has a weird almost porous surface to it at first without the protector, but that goes away through use, or by rubbing a credit card over the screen if you are brave.

it does indeed suffer from some parallax due to the thickness of the screen depending on your positioning, although at worst I could measure it with a ruler about 1mm off point.

No Buttons/Tilt/Eraser, Wacom tends to have buttons on their tablets I never really used them as I would often hotkey with a keyboard so that never bothered me, I never made much use of the tilt function either, of course you can use the pen at any angle and it will register pressure  that just won't modify any brush dynamics.

The Eraser is activated with the primary pen button, the pen itself has 2 buttons, also the Pen requires Recharging.

The Positives:

Many people have reported in reviews about driver issues and that had worried me going in, the largest driver problem I had was removing wacom drivers which prevented my install, they did not simply remove with the uninstall but I had to dig out files from system32 and privilege delete, after that headache which is wacom's fault really, installing was a breeze 

Overwhelmingly the Price is a big factor, I would not have a draw on screen tablet if these didn't exist, and I would be forced to use a lesser tablet like the Intuos pro.

The pen feels fantastic in hand, better than the intuos pro I would argue, but that is always going to be a personal thing on how a pen feels in the hand but the way it tapers just make you rest in the right position, I feel myself hitting buttons accidently less and less than when I did with my intuos pro.

it is very responsive and has great pressure detection here are some pressure tests I did in kitra:

There is No lag as far as I can tell at least, the stand adjusts well, works great in zbrush and everything else I have tested it with.

if you are considering it I would say the positives greatly outweigh the negatives and I am hugely enjoying this tablet 

I found this review to be most helpful in both making this purchase decision and after having it most accurate:

http://www.parkablogs.com/picture/review-ugee-ug-2150-pen-display-monitor 

I seriously hope some of you guys consider these as an alternative esp if your budget doesn't allow for a cintiq as they are awesome.

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Hey that's a nice review, haven't heard of them and the product seems solid for home/freelance users on a budget (or you know...not having 1.5k+ plus to spend). Here are the current prices: 660$, 670€, 73.333 Yen, 460 Pound Sterling (as in Doctor Who money).