Home Technical Talk

How to use Marvelous Designer for Cloth simulation in Custom characters ?( no arrangement points)

Kyle_butler
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys!
I'm trying to learn Marvelous Designer to create cloth assets for my projects. 
However every single source I've came across uses the standard Avatar from the software. These avatars include arrangement points and bounding volumes which makes simulation easier. 
But when you import a custom character, you don't have those helpers and the simulations don't quite fit. 
I was wondering which solutions you use and suggest. 

Thanks!

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i don't think you really require those arrangement points to get clothes onto an avatar. just make sure you place the flat cloth patterns in such a way in the viewport that you have no initial intersection with the avatar mesh and also that the seam lines don't get tangled right away. you can also use pins to keep parts from sliding off the characters during the first run of the simulation.

but if you check the documentation on MD: they do show how to create your own arrangement points. surely worth it if you expect to reuse your custom avatar.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yeah, it's based on bones. You can quickly make a throwaway skeleton just for that purpose. It should only take a few minutes to set up.