Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Kristen Malone

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mimine polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone! I'm Kristen, a 3D Artist who enjoys making stylized props and characters! I'll be posting progress on my work here. Critiques and suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Creature project. I completed this model last year, though I would like to return to it and improve her pose in the future. The design was inspired by the Sylvari race from Guild Wars 2. Modeled in Maya and textured / sculpted in Mudbox.

Her name is Eveleen. She is a curious child who enjoys studying botany and zoology.

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5

Stylized character project. Modeled in Maya, textured in Photoshop, and textured / sculpted in Mudbox.

The Shaman is a recluse that wanders the lands and dwells in caves. She spends her days studying hexes and spirits. One fateful night, as she explored an ominous dungeon she had come across, she discovered a dragon’s eye. Wacky adventures ensue.

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    My current project: Low poly knight (currently not named) of 3302 tris.

This is my first attempt at a hand painted style and I had a lot of fun! As of now she is completely modeled and textured. All that is left is to complete her rig and give her an idle animation. Her animation will have her holding the spear in one hand and the shield in another, slightly bending her knees in a readied pose, and her eyes shifting and looking around. Once the animation is done, I will be uploading her to Sketchfab. Modeled in Maya and textured in 3D Coat.

• Kamul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamul polycounter lvl 4
    Loving your style and really cool aproach to making them.

The Sylvari one is so cute and make me want to get back into GuildWars 2 again.

About you current project, I'm curious to see it animated and have a look through sketchfab.

Keep up the good work ^^
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    @Kamul Thank you! : ) 
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    I've completed my low poly model project! Unfortunately, after hours and hours of troubleshooting, I was unable to get my animation to work. I've scoured forums looking for solutions but sadly none of them worked for my project. I was trying to bake the animation (via Edit > Key > Bake Simulation, Game Exporter, and the FBX options) however the animation never exported correctly. If anyone has any advice / recommendations, please let me know! 

This is my Flower Knight! She was made with Maya and 3D Coat. 
    model
  • JoshGilroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshGilroy null
    Hi Kristen, I like where you are going with your flower knight and it looks like you enjoy color and nature and I think it might be to your benefit to really get that color popping and not be afraid to get some color in the darker tones of your design. As it stands now I feel like it gets a little muddy and grey as you get into the shadows. Really study flowers and see how very colorful they are! Anyways not sure about your animation exporting troubles, but keep up the good work and Iook forward to seeing you make great progress.
    -Josh
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    @JoshGilroy Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! You've made a good point, I've always been hesitant when dealing with more saturated colors. I'll have to study it more : )
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    I drew up some concept art for a character I aspire to sculpt in the future. I'm still learning the basics of Zbrush but I hope to improve to the point where I'm ready to begin working on characters! 

Ice Mage
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    A quick personal work I did. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Caravan Palace and it inspired me to draw something a bit old school. 

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    I've begun a new room scene! I will be working on it mainly next semester with an emphasis on lighting and texturing, but I thought I'd get a head start and work on the modeling portion over summer.

The theme is a tea shop. I'm going for a mixture between a shop where one would go to purchase tea and coffee shop-esque cafe where one can drink tea and relax. Sadly, a place like this doesn't exist where I live, but that's the beauty of making it in 3D right? : )

Current poly count - 76,852. My poly limit is currently unknown since I don't have the assignment details just yet. I will be adding plants in the pots around the room in the future.

Basic texture concept - Brick walls in the front + back. Painted walls on the sides. Wood floor. White, modern tables, chairs, and dishware. Glass tea containers. Variety of teapot + teacup materials in the side displays, such as porcelain and ceramic. Marble counter tops and wooden shelves. 

Any advice / suggestions are welcome! 

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Travelling Merchant

I was going with a playful fantasy theme. He is a general merchant that travels across the land selling a variety of items and knick knacks. I wanted to challenge myself by adding a detailed background. 

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Progress shot of my low poly ice mage character (currently unnamed)! I decided to model him over sculpting due to strong inspiration by some recent low poly characters I've come across on Sketchfab and Artstation. I do have another character in mind for sculpting once I get around to it though.

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    I've finished my ice mage model! I've named him Tobias and I've also changed his appearance quite a bit due to feedback that his design was too feminine for what I was going for.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you! : )
    model
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    New project, Gwyn the monk! She was a D&D character of mine and thought her design would be fun to try out.

This is my first serious bout with Zbrush so I'm ready to learn lots :) Any critique / advice, both design-wise and Zbrush-wise, would be super helpful!

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    Been a while since I've updated this! Finished sculpting, retopo, and UVing, working on texturing. Following a video tutorial by Marc Brunet that really helped me with the texturing process, I've learned a lot!

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    She's done!! I've learned a lot with this project ^^

model

My next project will be focusing on Zbrush + PBR texturing!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    nice texture work. just for the future. your sculpt was looking very lumpy in some places, specifically the pants and the sash. you'll want to take care next time and slowly raise your subdivision levels., Assuming you did do that, then you just need to pay more attention to the surface of your model so it looks clean and not like a melted model 
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    pmiller001  Thank you for the feedback! It was my first attempt using Zbrush so creating a clean mesh was something I struggled with. I will make sure to research and practice more to avoid that in future projects :)
  • mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    It's been a while since I've updated! Since the last time I posted, I worked on a low poly prop project called Matcha Dessert! Original concept by Nadia Kim. I also did an Art Spotlight on the project through Sketchfab, which details my process: https://blog.sketchfab.com/art-spotlight-matcha-dessert/

model

I've been practicing more with Zbrush the past few months and starting to get the hang of things :) My most recent project is sculpting Kishibe Rohan from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4! The polypaint is temporary since I will eventually be texturing with Substance, though I had a lot of fun with it~ 

• mimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mimine polycounter lvl 5
    It's been a bit of a while, so I have a lot of work to dump!

My latest completed 3D project was Lunen the Alchemist. I've worked on PBR in the past, but I hadn't tried stylized PBR so I wanted to give it a go! It was also my first time using Marmoset Toolbag 3 for bakes, which I really liked :smile:

model

Currently I'm working on two different projects. My first project is focused on creating a more realistic character with hard surface modeling and hair cards. I wanted to create a character with armor so I decided to make Casca from Berserk!

My second project, which I started more recently, focuses more on shaders and animation. I designed the concept around some things I wanted to try, like water shaders, cell shading, glow effects, etc. I will be making the shaders using UE4 and modeling some of the props in Blender.