Home Unreal Engine

Splotchy material in UE4?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I have an asset that I textured in quixel and have brought over into UE4. I'm getting a lot of very bizarre splotchiness all over the mesh though, and can't figure out why. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3DO

UE4

Maps

Albedo

Roughness

Metal

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Are you having compression issues or is it a shading thing? You might want to invert and/or toggle off sRGB in your Roughness map. That's throwing off the shading. Then generate a cubemap or use an ambient cubemap so your metals have proper reflections like 3DO. Does it still look weird after that? 
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Do you have any reflection capture actors? If you don't your metals will look funny because they have nothing to reflect.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [meant to edit, double posted instead.]
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried toggling the sRGB, and it doesn't seem to have any impact on it. I'm pretty sure that the reflection capture solution seems like the way to go. Could you perhaps point me to some resources on how to set that up, or do I simply just need to place the actor in the scene? Because simply doing that doesn't seem to do much...

EDIT: I'm playing around with it and it seems like it may be an issue with my metal maps itself. I have some values that are less than 1 to simulate grime and dirt, but it seems like that might be causing some issues?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Its almost certainly that. 
    The uses for non binary metalness values are incredibly limited. 
    To simulate the grime or dirt put it in the roughness, as that controls the sharpness of the highlights, unless you actually have an opaque layer of non-metal in that area, and if so, it should be black, rather than grey. 

If you want the metallic colored reflection, as well as a standard reflection in the same area, use the clearcoat material output. 
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help! I'm new to UE4 and I really appreciate the explanations.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Have you tried setting the grayscale map's compression to "masks"?
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not tried that; I just kind of went forward with the solution that was given at the time by turning off the dirt layers in my metal map. What would turning the compression to "mask" achieve?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Edited: It does seem to set some internal flags so that your texture samplers in your material have their properties set correctly. 

The texture sampler type in your material should also be set to Linear Color or Masks mode. 

(thanks OBSCURA for making me look that back up :) )