Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arma 3 civilian off-road vehicle

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
TomasV polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, I recently had the chance to work on this civilian off-road vehicle for the upcoming Arma 3 expansion and I'm excited to be able to share it here. 

It was modelled in 3DS Max and textured in Substance Designer and Painter. 

You can see the model in Marmoset Viewer with some more screenshots on my website. Cheers!

Replies

• airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice work! :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Im not really a vehicle guy, but that is a damn good looking car  : P
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Does Arma 3 support PBR? I thought it was using the old diffuse/spec/gloss workflow.
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Arma 3 doesn't support PBR, no - but you can fake some of the effects, just need someone who can understand the god-complex SDK tools. They've added a Jeep! This made my day, awesome model... As an A3 player myself I'm really looking forward to this!
  • Yuri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri null
    It looks fantastic although (I don't know if it's just me), but the door seems a little small. It could be longer imo. 

Edit: Now that I look at it again, it does look okay.
  • TomasV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomasV polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks guys! Yes you are right, Arma 3 currently doesn't support PBR but I found it easier to work in Substance Designer and then tweak the resulting textures for use with the Arma 3 shaders.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    Love the proportions and the chunkiness!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice work and an excellent use of proxies / hiddenSelections.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what tweaks you did from Substance to RV4 — what I've been doing is using adjustment layers in photoshop on my exported maps from Painter, as well as adding (Lin. dodge) the PBR-roughness map to the _SM maps G channel (specular) with a low opacity, just to get some of the roughness into the otherwise bare spec channel (as well as doing the SpecPower calculation in TexViewer).
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thanks for post this, great example of a flawless bake! love it!
  • TomasV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomasV polycounter lvl 4
    I'd be interested in hearing more about what tweaks you did from Substance to RV4

I based Arma's SMDI green channel on the PBR glossiness map, tweaked the contrast and added metallic map on top. The blue channel is mostly areas of flat color with baked lighting on top (for which I used Substance Painter's filter). The blue channel should have different value (specular power) for each surface type, what really helped me with this was to reuse all the nodes I had set up in Substance Designer for texturing based on the ColorID map. 

I reused already existing shaders (rvmat files) that were fine tuned by the great artists at BIS. It also helped a lot to see the existing textures, so that I could tweak mine to look the same.

Hopefully this screenshot can shed some more light on this :)

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the breakdown. I was eyeing Arma to do some modding. Does it still roll with FBX 2006 exclusively?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Interesting stuff, thank you for the detailed reply Tom.
    dzibarik said:
    Does it still roll with FBX 2006 exclusively?
    While I haven't tested extensively you can probably get .obj to work well enough, as long as you're content to flip all faces and scale in -100% in X or Z on import. That might get tedious quickly. I at least haven't had any success with any FBX version other than 2006.11.
  • Rabbit35
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rabbit35 null
    TomasV said:
    I'd be interested in hearing more about what tweaks you did from Substance to RV4

I based Arma's SMDI green channel on the PBR glossiness map, tweaked the contrast and added metallic map on top. The blue channel is mostly areas of flat color with baked lighting on top (for which I used Substance Painter's filter). The blue channel should have different value (specular power) for each surface type, what really helped me with this was to reuse all the nodes I had set up in Substance Designer for texturing based on the ColorID map. 

I reused already existing shaders (rvmat files) that were fine tuned by the great artists at BIS. It also helped a lot to see the existing textures, so that I could tweak mine to look the same.

Hopefully this screenshot can shed some more light on this :)

It'd be pretty sweet to see a full tutorial or write up on this, SMDIs are honestly the most confusing and difficult part of modding for A3