Home Technical Talk

Added Thickness To A Building's Walls

allengingrich
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
What's the proper way to go about this? Do I block it out like so, cut all of my holes, then add thickness by extruding the faces? I would just like to adopt the best method early on. Thanks!

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You could use the shell modifier but will need some cleanup afterwards. Personally i would construct the walls from seperate pieces instead of modelling all from one piece.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    You could use the shell modifier but will need some cleanup afterwards. Personally i would construct the walls from seperate pieces instead of modelling all from one piece.
    I'm working in Maya, but I get your drift. Look at the odd shape of my building... Would you still do each wall as a piece?
  • Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Im working in maya.. i would also break it up in separate wall pieces... Dont know what you are aiming to do. but you probably benefit from doing separate pieces
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I'm working in Maya, but I get your drift. Look at the odd shape of my building... Would you still do each wall as a piece?
    Yes. You can align and weld when everything is in place if necessary or use some trims and pillars where the pieces touch to hide intersecting/not perfectly aligned pieces which creates more visual interest anyway.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    And you should definitely break off the floor and ceiling, for level building efficiency if nothing else.