Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gabrielle from Xena: Warrior Princess

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
bkost interpolator
Most Recent:
Texturing in Quixel Suite 2!

Hey Friends, this post is to document my process of building Gabrielle from Xena Warrior Princess and to get critiques to make this model my best one yet.

First lets start with the pose I am wishing to achieve..

and here is my Pinterest board for reference of the actor Renee O'Connor and the outfit - https://www.pinterest.com/blakekostroun/female-warrior/
------------

Here is my progress so far... What do you all think of the basic shape? I notice after grabbing screenshots, she needs her hands to be a bit bigger.

To Do:
HP clothing
HP Body
Unwrap
Bake

Texture Clothing
Texture Skin and Face
Hair Cards

Replies

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here is some progress from today, cheers

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    I'm really struggling on getting the likeness on her face. I'd love some critique and have some fresh eyes on the face to point out what is wrong...

face ref: I'm primarily going for the 4th picture, she seems a little bit older in the others. Or it may be lens differences? 

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The inner side of her eye socket is a bit on the shallow side. Getting the shapes of the lids better defined is going to help get your likeness a lot more easily. Looks like the orbits needed to be popped out a bit too. It'd be worth grabbing a reference where her bangs aren't hiding her forehead shape.

Tip of the nose has a bit more of a point to it - yours is a little snubby. Nostrils could be a smidge wider. Likewise the chin needs to be a bit finer.

I'd grab a pile more references of O'connor, not necessarily as Gabrielle. I don't think what you've got there is giving you a really good feel of the face shape.

She's also apparently got weird slanted elf ears.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey Steve, I appreciate the feedback! It is great to have someone else look at a piece, after you've been staring at a model for hours on end the discrepancies seem to blur.

High Poly clothes update and some work on her face... Cheers

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wrapping up High poly and now I'm working on retopo and unwrapping. I plan to do this in three maps..

One for the body
    One for clothing
    And the last for the hair

*Fun little note - I created the shoes from an Artec Spider Hand Scanner done at my work (ty Kendall). The scan is of my buddies boots, here is the RAW data. I used this as the basis for the HP.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Retopology and unwrap complete!  Time for some texturing and polishing the maps.

*I most likely will end up adjusting the uv spacing. There is some wasted potential to maximize uv space, for example the inside of the cloth piece is rather large and taking up an unnecessary amount of space.

• Kamul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamul polycounter lvl 4
    I think it's a bit to late for giving critics, but the hands feel a little too small.

Besides that, Im curious to see more of the progress on your character
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @Kamul while fixing the UV's and working more on my HP I fixed up the hand as well. 

I added more details to the HP and rebaked and optimized the UV's on Gabrielle. Now it is time to start on the texturing

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here is my first time creating a realistic looking eye, through the process I learned a pretty quick workflow for creating them. I suggest modeling one and giving it a shot, I'd be happy to help if you've got any questions. I followed Tom Newbury's tutorial - https://gumroad.com/tomnewbury

I'm also figuring out hair cards and attempting to achieve realistic looking hair, anyone have any tips and tricks for creating hair? Here are some tips that I found - https://cdn0.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/335/696/large/dmitrij-leppee-tutorial-02low.jpg?1460444998

Cheers

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Here is what I've got so far in the clothing texture, I'm am very pleased with the results I have been getting in Quixel. Since the app revolves around working in Photoshop, it makes it much easier for me compared to learning a foreign UI such as Substance

The boots definitely need work, as does the dangles and I need to apply the pattern on the cloth.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This is a really tough one. This character is a real challenge because her beauty is extremely subtle. The figure you have at the moment isnt really highlighting her character. As has been said the proportions need work. Things like the skull shape are not correct. The face is looking old because of the cheek or muzzle sag. You might think textures will correct that and they will a bit but the underlying forms have to already look good in the untextured version first.

This pic is the best I have seen of the character and its a shame it isnt full length. She has always had terrific abs and the wind blown hair style amplifies her attractive points. The costume is pretty good but it gives the impression of being paper thin. I think your underlying musculature needs work but you can better do that with practice pieces.

Hope this helps
    Cheerio
  • Sam Leheny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Leheny polycounter lvl 9
    You're keeping the proportions very realistic. I look forward to seeing how it turns out;D