Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Sci-Fi Assualt Rifle (ATU-M65)

Ace
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ace polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting in S&C after lurking for so long! I just finished this project that I've been working on and off for about the past two months.

For this project I've used:
Modelling - 3ds Max
Baking -xNormal
Texturing - Substance Painter, Photoshop (making alphas, tweaking decals)
Rendering - Marmoset Toolbag 2

As a beginner, I've learned a lot while working on this project mainly with UV space (It has VERY inefficient UVs) and normal baking. It was also really fun to finally sit down and work with Substance Painter. I learned a lot about making Sci-fi style artwork and definitely plan to improve there. There was a lot of extra details I wanted to still add on the gun but I was a little afraid of going overboard. I also feel like I skimped out too much on the geo, I tend to be very conscious of how much geo I'm using for games but I suppose for a portfolio project It would've been okay to do a lot more than what I have.

Thanks for stopping by my thread and feel free to leave any C&C!!

Sketchfab:
model

Replies

• purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Neat gun! I think it would've been cool to break some of the flatness you haveto give the gun a bit more of a unique personality, if you look at it from the top down I think you'll understand my point. The trigger could also use some love.
    Great work for a first project,can't wait to see more :)
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 8
    Neat gun! I think it would've been cool to break some of the flatness you haveto give the gun a bit more of a unique personality, if you look at it from the top down I think you'll understand my point. The trigger could also use some love.
    Great work for a first project,can't wait to see more :)

Thanks! I never looked at it that way when I was figuring out how to break up the silhouette, and I definitely agree with the trigger.
  • rosenand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rosenand vertex
    The SAFETY: ENGAGED display is a bit unconvincing. I'd say add some depth to it, or maybe a texture to make it look like LCD or something (google "lcd display" images, for example... maybe change font?), or glossiness, as if the display is behind a glass...

Oh, and maybe add a glow effect in Toolbag?
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 8
    rosenand said:
    The SAFETY: ENGAGED display is a bit unconvincing. I'd say add some depth to it, or maybe a texture to make it look like LCD or something (google "lcd display" images, for example... maybe change font?), or glossiness, as if the display is behind a glass...

Oh, and maybe add a glow effect in Toolbag?

Hmm I'll definitely look into that. I think my first attempt ended up making that look more like a smooth plastic rather than an LCD so I could probably put something together in designer. Thanks for the feedback!