Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help/advice with UVW Mapping & Texturing

franman
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
franman polycounter lvl 13
I've textured my teacher's train model and so far I'm not quite satisfied with the outcome of the texture.

Here is UVW Map that I've unwrapped out of my teacher's model.
This UVW map is rendered @ 2048 by 2048; the green part of the 3d model is in the middle section on the left side of the UVW map.

This model is based on this site: https://github.com/Seneca-GAM536/Wiki/wiki/A-1

Some rules the teacher told:
- Texture size can be 1024 by 1024 or 2048 by 2048.
- Use photoshop or GIMP only for texturing (Too bad we can't use Substance :( )
- No normal maps :(

The actual assignment for this is here: https://github.com/Seneca-GAM536/Wiki/wiki/A-2
If you bother to even read it notice that rules I've posted on top was not specified in the assignment.

I want to make my texture look better.  By better I mean more photo-realistic.  If you guys can give me any pointers and critiques on my UVW unwrapping techniques as well as some photoshop texturing techniques I would definitely appreciate that.

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    well if you want photo real start grabbing train pics and photoshopping them into your texture, also general rule of thumb, is find as much reference as you can, pull from what you like 

if you want photoreal the texture process will only take you so far.  Lighting is what is going to help sell it as well

if the assignment is to focus on texturing, then start collecting train pictures 
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the way I've UV Unwrap.  Is the technique good? Does it meet the requirement or is there much more room for improvement?
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Since your not normal mapping I don't understand why you have separate shells laid out within your UV's for each of the pieces that could potentially be mirrored to save UV space.......overlapping those pieces that can be mirrored will free up empty space; thus give your model larger texel density.
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since your not normal mapping I don't understand why you have separate shells laid out within your UV's for each of the pieces that could potentially be mirrored to save UV space.......overlapping those pieces that can be mirrored will free up empty space; thus give your model larger texel density.
    I'm not sure I fully understand, are you referring to the opposite sides of the pieces of geometry being the same and all that?
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on my interpretation here's an update of my UVW map.

• xhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xhi polycounter lvl 2
    A couple things to keep in mind is to scale the pieces of the UV map so that the most important pieces are bigger.  For example underneath the train can be smaller.  Smaller means less quality but then the big pieces will have higher resolution.  Also what was meant by mirroring is that whenever there are duplicate objects or parts that look the same, use the same space for the shell.  For example if the left and the right of the train will look exactly the same  click the face on the left side and the right side at the same time and planar map them. Then in the Uv layout they will be on top of each other. Then when you paint one you are painting both at the same same and you save space on your UV map for big pieces to have room.
    Lastly, I was told to layout the shells the way they look in the 3D model.  Like having the side panel vertical instead of horizontal isn't good.
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @franman

what is the intended final output for this?  the model seem really low poly even for a mobile game
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The final output was mainly that the UVW is properly unwrapped sized and placed as well as making the texture look photo realistic.

Regarding the model, I didn't model that.  The teacher provided that for me to unwrap and texture.

BTW there was a previous assignment to that which does infact involve me modeling the train on my own.  The limit was 6000 tris.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    What class is this even for?

No normal map? 6,000 tri limit for a model of a train?

These are no where near industry specifications
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @franman what i meant, is what is the final use for the image.  I know its an assignment for school.  But is it meant to be a rendered image, a AAA game model, a mobile Model, 3D printed model, etc. Each of these has certain limitations, so its good to know what the final outcome will be
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The class I'm taking is not pioneered towards 3D art but more on the programming side of it.  True we were taught some modeling, texturing, UV unwrapping and animation basics but that's just to get some idea out of the 3D fundamentals, the main part of it is focused on 3D Max's Scripting tool MaxScript.

I believe the outcome is to program the train to go along a certain path and change directions.

BTW I appreciate all you guys for chiming in and asking good questions.  I hope what I gave answers all your questions.